Help - newbie with problems

• footsore
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Nov 2015 13:16 #1 by footsore
Help - newbie with problems was created by footsore
So I have taken delivery of my shiny new 2860n, firmware 3.7.8.2. We upgraded to the Draytek due to the load balancing aspect.

Steady yourselves for the following speeds. We have two connections Broadband via BTBusiness which can get downloads of 4MB and uploads of 1MB. We also have a comment radio based service that can do 5mB each way (It can go up to 20MB each way but gets expensive), this is new and the reason for the Draytek.

We run a small holiday park so we connect an Engenius outdoor AP to the main router and allow it to serve as a DHCP for all the guests. We also connect an Archer C7 to the main router and run all the house stuff from that (Sonos, laptops, tablets, phones), effectively hiding behind a second firewall. Never had many problems previously with this set-up with a Archer D7 previously being the main router (had it set-up for QoS tasks to prioritise business over guests).

If I connect direct to the Draytek via its wireless, or a laptop direct we get the expected speeds from speedtest.net. 5MB up/down or 5MB/1MB depending on if I have enabled ADSL or WAN connection.

If we connect to either of the other wifi networks the speedtest starts normally at 5MB is and immediately reduces to 1MB, and keeps falling, down to 200kb. Its like its getting throttled back by something. As they are connected to separate ports on the Draytek and both suffer the same symptons I suspect that the Draytek is causing the issue.

I have disabled all Bandwidth/Session/QoS stuff. I do have all the firewall stuff set.

We seem to be able to surf the web fine but downloads don't work, nor does youtube. So small stuff seems OK, large stuff seems to get blocked.

Where can I look for what is causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• footsore
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Nov 2015 18:56 #2 by footsore
Replied by footsore on topic Re: Help - newbie with problems
Spent the afternoon testing different combinations of hardware and connection.

Annoyingly I was staring at the status page of Archer C7 thinking of the next step when I noticed it said WAN disconnected, then shortly after WAN connected. A few tests later and sure enough every time the load went up the WAN disconnected. Changing the cable seems to have solved things in a simplified set-up.

Radio Broadband -> Draytek 2860n -> Archer C7 ->laptop

(with BT Broadband -> Archer D7 -> EnGenius merrily serving customers while I tinkered)

Now to try building the intended solution with the Draytek load balancing between the two services. Ideally I would love it to use WAN1 - BT Broadband on the ADSL connection for the majority and the radio stuff for when the bandwith is required. I know the radio based system doesn't give us unlimited usage (it does but if we use to much they will ask if they can charge us more).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.