Vigor 2760 and Infinity 2

• xeg12
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Nov 2015 15:28 #1 by xeg12
Vigor 2760 and Infinity 2 was created by xeg12
I have a vigor 2760 with the earlier firmware (1.2.1.3) and I have just ordered an upgrade to fibre broadband from plusnet.

I ordered the fastest package (bt call it infinity 2) with 55m download, 14m upload. What I need to know is does my 2760 handle the higher speed or does it only handle the 35m download speeds? If so what similar products will handle the higher speed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2015 08:29 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Vigor 2760 and Infinity 2
Yes, it will be fine at 55Mb/s.

Forum Administrator

• xeg12
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Dec 2015 14:39 #3 by xeg12
Replied by xeg12 on topic Re: Vigor 2760 and Infinity 2
Well I now have fibre broadband through PlusNet - their "extra" package and I'm very disappointed.

1) They estimate 35-55M download speed and 14M upload but I am getting 12M & 1.2M (now slowed to 10M & 1.2M as of 5 days after install - plusnet still show estimated speed 35-55M but actual line speed 10M.
2) This speed is with their free Oneplus hub. When I try the 2760 it gives only 8M download speeds, also an ISO download from MSDN ran steadily at about 11M with the Plusnet hub, but with the 2760 it ran at about 0.5M AND the speed graph was very jagged as opposed to a nice clean "block" with the Plusnet hub.

While I am very concerned about the obtained speed compared with PlusNet's estimates, my biggest concern is the 2760 which way underperforms my expectations of a supposedly premium device!

I am on the earlier version with firmware 1.x (1.2.1.3 at present) but this should not be a problem. Looking at the dashboard, I see the processor is often at or near full load - is this the problem? And if so why was this expensive router so under-specced for a job it claims to do easily?

More
07 Dec 2015 16:19 #4 by admin
Their speed estimate is based on your proximity to a cabinet, but lower quality/damaged, cabling, strange routes, bad connections to your house can make the line behave worse. Processor not an issue; try different modem code, but that might be limited if you have a V1 firmware V2760.

Forum Administrator

• xeg12
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Dec 2015 17:05 #5 by xeg12
Replied by xeg12 on topic Re: Vigor 2760 and Infinity 2
Can you recommend a modem code to try?

Also, if I were to downgrade to the lower speed fibre would my actual speed go down proportionately? I am really not happy paying twice what I paid for adsl for a 25-50% increase in speed downloading and very little change on uploading! So I could save half the increase over adsl by downgrading to the "ordinary" fibre package but I don't know what the differences are and how they might affect actual speeds.

More
07 Dec 2015 18:21 #6 by admin
Not sure about code... I use a 2860 with other firmware, but ask support. I didn't understand the second bit of your message :-)

Forum Administrator