Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek Openreach compatibility

• wallacio
  • User
  • User
More
26 Nov 2015 18:28 #13 by wallacio
Replied by wallacio on topic Re: Draytek Openreach compatibility
I quite appreciate all of this, and your comments are valid to a point. I've worked in the industry for long enough to know that nothing lasts forever but it's not unreasonable to expect a level of support for this standard of product for the timescales we're talking about. VDSL and its features aren't exactly this year's technology, even though the uptake in the UK has been pretty slow (for various reasons). I would accept this if it hadn't had such a massive impact on my service, but the difference in performance between the two devices on the same line is quite remarkable.

You are quite correct in saying that BT can shift the goalposts at any time, but the impact of doing this is really theirs to deal with - through our ISPs, as direct customers, hardware manufactures, whatever. There is obviously some need for standardisation which I can only approve of and also more robust backwards compatibility but as I said, you have to wonder where this leaves those above in terms of support. I question why the HG612 BT Openreach modem which I was given for the service before the Vigor2850 came out can support this new technology, and also why Draytek tell me that there will be no future development on the 2850 firmware. If it's a hardware limitation, then that is indeed tough luck but if it's because engineers will no longer be developing firmware for the device, that's a different story. I can't be blamed for buying something which is essentially "unapproved" - I don't remember being told not to use anything else, and the market is certainly full of choice. Indeed, self-installs are now the norm; bring your own device because BTO won't be providing one.

I'm complaining - yes - but only at the situation that I and probably others have and will be left in. These are First World problems after all.

Like I said, my point is - Emptor Caveat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2015 07:55 #14 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Draytek Openreach compatibility

wallacio wrote: Draytek tell me that there will be no future development on the 2850 firmware.

Well, that's never a known fact - there was new firmware for the Vigor 2700 many years after it was discontinued to do with some kind of WiFi bug (can't remember). But it's unlikely to get new features now as it's not in active development; it's just not economical to do that - it would increase the cost of products a lot.

I can't be blamed for buying something which is essentially "unapproved" - I don't remember being told not to use anything else

It's buried in the T&Cs from your ISP I expect.

These are First World problems after all.

Quite a pertinent point...kind of puts it in perspective :-)

Forum Administrator

• robertb24
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Nov 2015 10:20 #15 by robertb24
Replied by robertb24 on topic Re: Draytek Openreach compatibility
Would you be able to let us know when the Draytek devices are certified with BT (SIN 498)? Just then adds more weight to selling these and makes them more attractive.

thanks

Rob

More
27 Nov 2015 10:24 #16 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Draytek Openreach compatibility
I'm sure DrayTek will announce it.

Forum Administrator

• robertb24
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Feb 2016 14:57 #17 by robertb24
Replied by robertb24 on topic Re: Draytek Openreach compatibility
Here it is :

http://www.draytek.co.uk/information/our-technology/bt-sin-498