Fallback account

• robertb24
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Nov 2015 15:43 #1 by robertb24
Fallback account was created by robertb24
I have just updated the Firmware on my 2830 and noticed that in the WAN1 settings there is a Fallback account option.

What is this for?

If it is for the following then very handy :

I am moving ISP so my WAN1 adsl credentials are going to change. I have the current credentials and the new. Can I just put the new credentials in Fallback account and it will login using that if the main account fails?

Thanks

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2015 09:19 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Fallback account
Yep, if the main account fails authentication three times, it will use the fallback login credentials instead.

• robertb24
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Nov 2015 10:17 #3 by robertb24
Replied by robertb24 on topic Re: Fallback account
That's great and will allow ISP migration.
However, the main ISP is BT which I am moving from and they use the stupid virtual IP address for static IP address so I have had to add the static to the WAN1 setup. How will the failback account cope with this?

Bear in mind this is a remote router and may not have actual access to it other than remotely.

More
27 Nov 2015 10:41 #4 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Fallback account
The router would see that as a working connection because it only checks if it can contact the gateway when doing ARP detection. Set the connection detection to ping detect and give it a target IP that you know will always work (8.8.8.8 was what I used to use, then one day it was down for a few hours). Then it will see the connection as not-working and try connecting with the fallback details.