DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2860AC

More
28 Nov 2015 21:00 #1 by tcrat
Vigor 2860AC was created by tcrat
Hello.

I am currently deciding on a best option to take, so really I am looking for some guidance on a purchase, before i splash out and buy.

I am a computer Techie working from home, so i am reliant on a decent connection. The trouble is, I live about 2.8 miles from the local exchange, so am currently only getting a throughput of about 3Mb/s which is not ideal for the work i am required to do. However, there is a strong 4G connection i can get (4G mast right behind our house), so i was thinking of load balancing a 4g connection from an EE '4GEE' home broadband router with the standard ADSL connection.

My problem is, that i have done some research and have come accross this router (Vigor 2860AC) and the Billion Bipac 8800AXL as the two 'main' routers that would be capable of doing what i want them to do. I would rather go with this Draytek Vigor 2860AC due to the range of features. But the only thing that is scrambling my mind between getting any of them before splashing out my money is the reviews i have been seeing. Some people have been saying that the Billion router is better for longer lines as it has a Broadcom chipset, but others are saying that the Draytek is better or just as good. So my questions are as follows:

Has anyone had any experience of using the Draytek Vigor 2860AC on a long line distance from the exchange?
What is the chipset that Draytek uses on this router, and is it capable of SNR tweaks?
What is the WIFI range like?

I am basically trying to achieve the best throughput possible for my needs as it is quite hard in a rural area.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ghostworks
  • User
  • User
More
21 Dec 2015 09:40 #2 by ghostworks
Replied by ghostworks on topic Re: Vigor 2860AC
Have you looked into the new Vigor 2860Ln

I use draytek for all my locations rather than the supplied Routers than the ISP supply , easier to setup and faster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.