DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Dynamic IP from Cisco to 2820

More
04 Jan 2016 10:38 #1 by calvt
Dynamic IP from Cisco to 2820 was created by calvt
Our internet is provided over a coaxial cable, so unfortunately we cannot use the DrayTek Vigor 2820 we have as a modem. Our ISP has provided a Cisco Modem/Router that can function as a standalone to provide four ethernet ports plus WiFi. Unfortunately it doesn't have the capabilities of a Vigor router. So the plan was to put the Cisco into bridge mode, and use the Vigor as the main router. This is because we need the Vigor to be the front facing router for VPN purposes. But we ran into problems. The Vigor seemed incapable of acquiring an IP address from the Cisco. So I took the cable out, and plugged it into my computer, which acquired the IP address. I copied the details, and then went back into the Vigor's settings, and configured it as a Static IP. Success - it worked! But as soon as the Cisco was reset, the Vigor no longer worked - the Static IP (which was an external IP - not a 192.168) had changed, meaning the settings on the Vigor where no longer valid. So I was wondering what is needed for the Vigor to be able to acquire an IP address dynamically? The Vigor is a 2820Vn, and the Cisco a DPC3928
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.