DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Using Draytek 2860 as Bridge to Draytek 3900 (BT VSDL UK)

• andyhud
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2016 11:48 #1 by andyhud
Hi Guys, happy new year to all

I have been trying for 2 days now to get my Draytek 2860 to act as a "Bridge" to my Draytek 3900.

Few things

1. Draytek 2860 has been factory reset and running latest firmware ( 3.8.2 )
2. The VSDL is Bt Business Infinity (UK)
3. I have enabled PPPoE passthrough for Wired on the PPPoE/PPPoA page on the Draytek 2860 (WAN >> Internet Access)
4. I have enabled the VLAN 101 tag needed for BT VSDL on the Draytek 2860 (WAN >> General Setup)
5. On the Draytek 3900 I have input the BT username/password on the wan port and switched it to PPPoE.
6. Draytek 3900 is running latest firmware ( 1.2.0 )

However it just does not connect. In the logs on the Draytek 3900 it says "Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery" and "Timeout waiting for PADO packets"

If however I use a DIFFERENT VDSL modem instead of the Draytek 2860 (which is also configured in Bridge mode) and connect that to the Draytek 3900, then the Draytek 3900 connects straight away. Only when I use the Draytek 2860 as the bridge/modem (just like a Vigor 130) does it not work

Questions if you can help:

1. What am I missing on the Draytek 2860 to make this just a bridge other than what I have specified
2. Its not clear, which physical port on the front of the Draytek 2860 I should be using to connect to the WAN port of the Draytek 3900. Just one of the LAN ports? Does it matter which? I've tried the WAN 2 (giga) port but that is for a second connection INTO the Draytek 2860, not OUT of the Draytek 2860 to the Draytek 3900

I would much rather use the rock solid Draytek 2860's as the bridge/modems instead of this other modem (Technicolor TG589 v3) even though it works.

Its just not clear in the documentation the setup in this regard

Any help appreciated

Cheers!

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andyhud
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2016 16:35 #2 by andyhud
I found the below post which explained how to do it

http://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19453&p=80414&hilit=bridged+mode#p80414

but the documentation states nothing about enabling MPoA

Also the post says Disable MPoA and enable Bridge mode. You can't do this as if you disable it, it greys out the Enable Bridge mode

So I have bridge mode enabled under PPPoE/PPPoA and it is ALSO enabled under the MPoA tab

I've left the drop down on LAN1 but any port appears to work

Does this sound right?

Thanks

Andy

More
04 Jan 2016 20:17 #3 by the pit
The instructions are for an earlier version of the fimrware so the option maybe broken in the later versions? Maybe worth downgrading if you can and see if the option then works.

• andyhud
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2016 22:01 #4 by andyhud
Thanks The Pit

I should comment that although I've had to change the config slightly which differs from that post I have linked to above, it does now actually work, and it appears to be acting as a Bridge now under WAN1 (the VDSL circuit)

I then have an ethernet cable going from Lan Port 1 on the Draytek 2860 to WAN 1 on the Draytek 3900.

On WAN 1 on the Draytek 3900 its configured for PPPoE and I have my BT username and password credentials in there. Its logged on and given me my static IP (I have a block of 13 usable public IPs). I have then added the other 12 as WAN IP Aliases on the Draytek 3900.

So the link above pointed in the right direction but its not completely accurate. As you say, it could be because I'm using the newer (latest) firmware on the Draytek 2860

Be good if Draytek support have a comment on this. I have a case open with them also to clarify

Thanks

Andy