Nightmare setting up 2860 as bridge to pfsense

• blackdwarf
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Jan 2016 21:11 #1 by blackdwarf
Hi All.

My end goal is to have the 2860 as an MPoA Bridge for my Sky Fiber services, passing everything to my pfsense box.
I can sucessfully get the 2860 to connect to fiber fine, but obviously I have the annoying Sky issue of DHCP option 61 for my username|pass.

How the hell do I get this working properly? I've been banging my head against a wall for the past two nights trying to get them to talk to eachother and pass details across, but I just can't seem to get it. I've got the pfsense WAN port set to DHCP, so the 2860 should just pass through an IP, right? Do I need to set the option 61 on pfsense? Do I need to remove 61 from the 2860?

I'm running the latest 3.8.2_VT2 firmware for the Vigor.

It's doing my nut in, but having my current setup (2860 int IP 10.0.0.254 > pfsense WAN (as true-ip DMZ) 10.0.0.1 > pfsense LAN 10.1.1.0/24) is broken to the point that my internet seems to work fine, but I can't ping anything. I've never seen such behaviour.

Any help would be amazing.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andyhud
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jan 2016 21:27 #2 by andyhud
I had similar problems getting bridge to work on a 2860 (fw 3.8.2) on BT VDSL. I don't have SKY unfortunately.

I had to enable PPPoA/PPPoE and tick Bridge mode, then DISABLE that section

Then enable MPoA section and enable Bridge mode on that too and choose LAN6 in the drop down under Bridge mode.

I then patched a cable from GIGALan Port 1 on my 2860 to my box (not pfsense) doing the PPPoE

I have public Static IP's however so different to Sky, but I do recall seeing some article online about how to inject the DHCP stuff for Sky into the Draytek via some command line?

Not much use, just some experience

Andy

More
11 Jan 2016 12:33 #3 by admin
Wouldn't a Vigor130 be better for this? But anyway, it's probably not that common for users here, so check with support... (and then post solution here :-) ).

Forum Administrator

More
12 Jan 2016 11:28 #4 by admin3

BlackDwarf wrote:
I've got the pfsense WAN port set to DHCP, so the 2860 should just pass through an IP, right? Do I need to set the option 61 on pfsense? Do I need to remove 61 from the 2860?

When the Vigor 2860's VDSL WAN interface is in Bridge mode under the MPoA configuration tab, that does perform full pass-through and should stop the DrayTek's DHCP client from being active on that WAN interface.
In that configuration, it would be necessary to configure DHCP option 60 & 61 on the pfSense box to work with Sky's MER network.

Forum Administrator

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
06 Feb 2016 11:14 #5 by mbames
As admin says, wouldn't a cheaper VDSL modem be better than using a 2860 and then forgoing most of its features. If it helps, I have had a HG612 and pfSense running together (on Sky Fibre).

I did find, however, that it was necessary to clone the MAC address of my old Sky Router into the pfSense WAN NIC (I've also had to do the same on my current 2925 config). Some users say it is necessary, but I found it was.

• j1mbo
  • User
  • User
More
22 Jun 2016 16:27 #6 by j1mbo

mbames wrote: As admin says, wouldn't a cheaper VDSL modem be better than using a 2860 and then forgoing most of its features. If it helps, I have had a HG612 and pfSense running together (on Sky Fibre).

The flip-side is that if the connection is changed to have multiple static IPs in the future, of course a router is then required and the 2860 is then usable for that too.