Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Dual WAN Router and Outbound SMTP Notifications

• andyhud
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jan 2016 21:30 #1 by andyhud
So, if I have a router with 2 WAN connections (from 2 different ISPs) and I configure outbound mail notifications (say, when a VPN drops, or a WAN circuit reboots) how do you tell the Draytek to use a specific WAN connection to send the email?

The problem is you can only specify one SMTP server for sending the notifications, but if it sends it out on the WAN circuit that doesnt own that SMTP server you are effectively trying to relay which doesnt work.

You could get around this by using SMTP auth as well (username and password) so in theory either circuit can send via 1 ISP's SMTP server but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Draytek 2860 or 3900

Cheers

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fchef
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
28 Jan 2016 22:13 #2 by fchef
Use your gmail accounts server so it doesn't matter which was is sent from.
By the way when WAN1 goes down, email is sent from WAN2!!

• andyhud
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jan 2016 09:48 #3 by andyhud
That is definitely one way of doing it! :)

More
29 Jan 2016 15:44 #4 by admin
Or set a block rule so SMTP can't go over the wrong WAN. It'll fail and keep retrying until the correct WAN is back up.

Forum Administrator

• andyhud
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Feb 2016 14:40 #5 by andyhud
I created an account on outlook.com (which supports SMTP sending with Auth) and used that email address as the "From" address from the Draytek 3900

I can't wait to know if a WAN is down once its back up again (if ever in that situation) so by doing this way the account is agnostic to the WAN connection so doesnt matter which one it sends from.

Be good if future firmware could have notifications setup and you could specific multiple SMTP servers based on WAN1/2 etc.

Just a thought

Andy