DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Problems connecting to router with multiple devices

• rml123
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jan 2016 19:48 #1 by rml123
Hello

I have a DrayTek Vigor 2800 series ADSL2/2 router at my house. The router is wired to a PC and other devices use the wireless connection.

There are now about 15 devices in my house that are configured to connect to the router wirelessly and individually they connect successfully.

The problem I have is that the router doesn't seem to want to let too many devices to connect at the same time. On almost a daily basis, a device will see the router in its wi-fi list and see a full strength signal but will not connect. I have not proven it but there appears to be some limit to the amount of devices that it will connect.

If i then go to the router settings on my pc and choose System Maintenance > Reboot System the device in question will then, without fail, connect successfully when the router reconnects to the internet.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem as it is probably not doing the router any good constantly rebooting it. The service provider is TalkTalkBusiness and the IP address from isp is dynamic. I have IP Pool Counts set to 50 in the DHCP Server Configuration (the default value)

thanks ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2016 04:21 #2 by admin
The Vigor 2800 is a very old model - I guess just 802.11b only, so you're not going to
get much performance with 15 devices. Possibly also one of those devices is upsetting
the router if it's not used to running at 802.11b or there's some bug/incompatibility.
I'd consider this very difficult to diagnose other than a tedious elimination test.
There's no hard limit on clients (well, there might be, but it's a lot more than 15).
For the time you'll spend, I'd just buy an extra AP, or replace the router with
something modern.

Forum Administrator

• rml123
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jan 2016 14:42 #3 by rml123

admin wrote: The Vigor 2800 is a very old model - I guess just 802.11b only, so you're not going to
get much performance with 15 devices. Possibly also one of those devices is upsetting
the router if it's not used to running at 802.11b or there's some bug/incompatibility.
I'd consider this very difficult to diagnose other than a tedious elimination test.
There's no hard limit on clients (well, there might be, but it's a lot more than 15).
For the time you'll spend, I'd just buy an extra AP, or replace the router with
something modern.

ok, thanks for the advice