• hsclater
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Feb 2016 07:42 #1 by hsclater
Issue with conditional DNS forwarding was created by hsclater
Hi there
I have tried using conditional DNS forwarding as per http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-conditionaldns
When I use a DNS server for a domain across a VPN, it works perfectly.
However, if I use a DNS server on the internal network (same as the inside interface of the Draytek) then it does not work. This might seem like an odd thing to do, but I have a lab at home, and I don't want all clients to use the DNS server in the lab the whole time, but it would be nice to resolve addresses on that network. So, if I add a conditional DNS server on the internal network - say 192.168.1.40 and the router is on 192.168.1.254, then it does not work.

I have debugged my internal DNS server, and I can see the requests coming from the router, and the DNS server answers them with no issues. But the client does not receive a reply back from the router.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• admin2
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
More
09 Feb 2016 12:25 #2 by admin2
Replied by admin2 on topic Re: Issue with conditional DNS forwarding
The client making the DNS request gets no reply at all from the router?

• hsclater
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Feb 2016 15:36 #3 by hsclater
Replied by hsclater on topic Re: Issue with conditional DNS forwarding
Hi, no tried this again and the client gets no response at all, even though the router is definitely intercepting the request and sending it to the internal DNS server.

So it seems like this feature only works when using a DNS server across a VPN, which seems like a bug to me.