• User
  • User
More
16 Feb 2016 22:30 #1 by auser1
2820n session limit issue was created by auser1
Firmware: 3.3.7.7_232201
Build date: Jan 6 2016 11:50:15

Hi,
I've recently dusted off my old 2820n having had enough of virgin's super hub 2 wifi issues. I've upgraded the firmware but every couple of days I'm getting these max session limit reached error messages even when i've not set one up. I have reboot the router to clear it.
I've tried telnet-ing in and setting the life time of each session as advised on various sites:

portmaptime -t 60

But to no avail. I'm using the 2820 on WAN2 with the Super Hub as a cable modem.

Anybody else having this problem? Is it safe to downgrade the firmware to a year ago?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2016 07:14 #2 by step19
Replied by step19 on topic Re: 2820n session limit issue
Firmware Version : 3.3.7.7_2471201
Build Date/Time : Jan 6 2016 11:54:18

Same problem here using WAN1.
The only solution is reboot router or downgrade firmware to previous version.

• auser1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 Feb 2016 14:55 #3 by auser1
Replied by auser1 on topic Re: 2820n session limit issue
Well it's good to know I'm not the only one affected and it's not just my settings.
The limit bug does seem like it's a memory leak. Its definitely worse during half term as the kids are at home. There was one day this week that I had to reboot the router twice!
I've not been on torrents and the kids are just on the PS4 and Steam. So it's unusual that I could easily rack up so many IP sessions in a day.
I suppose one of the household laptops could have been hacked to act as a net bot but from the Data Flow Monitor - i've never seen the TOTAL sessions peak beyond 1000. It's around 800~900 sessions before we get the session limit.

But anyway - until a new firmware is released to fix it (which probably is next Feb/Jan as per last couple of releases) then i've scheduled an automatic reboot every night. Hopefully that will keep the kids happy for now.

• auser1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Feb 2016 15:38 #4 by auser1
The default firewall filters is what appears to be causing the session limit. There is a fixed 17000 session limit by default for "call filter" and "data filter".
I don't really understand completely what they are for but i've disabled them both and no session limits for the past few days.

BUT - is my firewall compromised?

Why can't i change the maximum default session limit? I can reduce it but not increase it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

More
26 Feb 2016 14:48 #5 by step19
Replied by step19 on topic Re: 2820n session limit issue
No workaround about session limit issue.
Draytek already know the problem and a new version of firmware (3378) will be released in a few days.

Have a nice day.

• auser1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Mar 2016 08:58 #6 by auser1
That sounds great step19. Thanks for the info.