DHCP Naming of clients

• housevod
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Feb 2016 11:11 #1 by housevod
DHCP Naming of clients was created by housevod
OK, I have a strange 'issue' which I have been trying to find a good work around for quite a while on and off.

I have the Draytek 28030N router and a number of kids with a number of wireless devices all connect and work fine. However, as with kids there is always the occasional hicup where I want to be able to see what childs device is doing what on the network, which devices are connected despite passed bed time, who is currently hammering the broadband etc.

The issue is DHCP, the kids hudl's connect and have that oh so usefull Android device- random numbers, hard to tell which one is which and apparently you cant change the name without rooting the android device, same with other devices that connect to the router such as the sky box, the tv etc, very unfriendly name and no way to change it on the client. So, I thought I would change to fixed IP for the devices that give horrible names, but then in the DHCP list they just show the name as 'fixed ip' so I then have to remember the IP address, go into bind ip menu, find it, click comments to see which device it is.

So, is there a way, for clients that can not be changed, of making the DHCP list easier to say ah thats Child 1's hudl etc. as android devicexxxxxxx is a pain and fixed ip and then going off to look it up just seems long winded!

Many thanks in advance guys n gals

House,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.