Network Setup Assistance

• semu05
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Mar 2016 11:53 #1 by semu05
Network Setup Assistance was created by semu05
I am relatively new to Draytek appliances and would like some help with a particular setup one of my clients is looking to achieve.

We have a Draytek 2860 Router and 3 AP900 Wireless Access Points.

The client is resident in a large office space where all their own staff operate, they also have 3 designated spaces within this office area where subcontractors and or people rent desk space (Hot-desk) users work.

What they want to achieve is as follows:

1. Supply telephones to all users (Their own staff, sub-contractors and hot-desks). The telephone system, all their staff PCs and large printers are already on the 192.168.0.x range.
2. Provide isolated Hard Wired Access to all subcontractors and Hot-Desk areas.
3. Provide isolated WiFi access for each subcontractor and Hot-desk area.
4. Provide Guest WiFi access for any visitors that gives internet access only from any area within the office space.

Our first thought was to connect all AP900's via POE on the 192.168.0.x range with the 4 ports on each AP giving access to the phone system therefore addressing requirement 1 above.
We were then hoping to use the 'LAN B' port on the AP900's connected to a local switch to facilitate a second IP range on each AP to address requirement 2 above.
We were then hoping to us the WiFi element of each AP to address requirement 3 above and again use the WiFi element of each AP to address requirement 4 above.

We thought we could use the 3 AP 900 units in conjunction with the 2860 Router to supply all the above but don't know how to facilitate this or if it is even possible with this combination of Draytek devices.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2016 20:52 #2 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: Network Setup Assistance
To help in going to have to make a few assumptions.

Firstly you haven't mentioned how many users do in going to assume you have smart or managed switches.

Next I don't use the ap900 myself but I'm going to assume it's capable vlan tagging.

On the 2860 I would set up vlan0 to lan1 tag 10 with your stated in range. And vlan1 to lan2 tag 20 with 192.168.20.x..

From there I would let the switches manage the hard wire connections onto the correct vlans.

Wireless even easier as the ap's probably manage the vlans by ssid.

Hay presto you now have a working set up.

Oh by the way on the 2860 I would send both vlan0 & 1 out by p1.
Iain

Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.