• tcr_busworks
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Mar 2016 16:10 #1 by tcr_busworks
Vigor 2860ac and a synology server was created by tcr_busworks
Hello!

I've just got a Vigor 2860ac and am very impressed so far. I'm having a few issues getting my synology server up and running for web access and SFTP access etc though.

Before I was on a BT home hub, and just did the port forwarding that synology required, but now it looks like the 2860ac has some of the same ports in use... what can I do?

The ports synology wants forwarded are:

21*
22*
80*
5000-5001
5005-5006

I've done all but the ones with * attached to them, these 3 are the problematic ones. Having read up a bit about it, I logged into my Draytek and changed these port numbers in the management page from the defaults to new ones, but managed to pick a number that I shouldn't have (120) and my browsers locked me out of even seeing the log in page - thankfully I was able to bypass this, log in, and set to default again!!

Can anyone else me get my synology up and running?

Thanks very much,

Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2016 10:38 #2 by aweaton
Replied by aweaton on topic Re: Vigor 2860ac and a synology server
That's a lot of ports to open and I'd be wary of forwarding 22 (SSH) and 80 (HTTP) as these are regularly scanned by hackers.
Could you not use the built in VPN functionality for the remote connectivity?

• tcr_busworks
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Mar 2016 10:43 #3 by tcr_busworks
Replied by tcr_busworks on topic Re: Vigor 2860ac and a synology server
Hi aweaton,

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure on most of the server/network stuff I read. When I got the synology it said that I needed to port forward the ports I listed in order to access the features such as accessing the server over the web (port 80 I think) and SFTP over a FTP server (port 22).

Here's a synology thread with some more detail on the portforwarding:

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=51979

Are you suggesting that there is a different way to access these features without opening the ports?

Thanks,

Nick

More
24 Mar 2016 09:31 #4 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Vigor 2860ac and a synology server
It depends on how (or from what) you will be accessing the NAS remotely. e.g. from behind
another router, from a tablet in a coffee shop etc.

Forum Administrator

• tcr_busworks
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Mar 2016 15:47 #5 by tcr_busworks
Replied by tcr_busworks on topic Re: Vigor 2860ac and a synology server
It will be accessing the server from many and varied options.

Most often, it will be for clients to download something from our server through/over an SFTP client, but it will also include remote logging into the synology DSM back end via a laptop for updating and the like (mainly me).

I'm not quite following how the location of the user matters though, as this was never an issue on the previous routers (home hub/airport extreme)? I just opened up the ports and had a strong password with a strict blacklisting rule!!

---

Having read some more, can I not just change the default management ports from 80, 21 and 22 to 88, 8080 and 888 (they are safe apparently)? The only SFTP/FTP I'll be doing is via the synology which needs 21/22, and the only person needed to log in to the router directly is me and I can remember to add :88 or whatever at the end of the address.

I'm not 100% understanding everything I read though, so please let me know if I'm wrong!!

Thanks very much for the help though!