Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Home setup for resticting Internet access

• pbuxton
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Apr 2016 21:51 #1 by pbuxton
Hi I have a 2860 and an AP900 currently setup with a single wifi access, but I would like to restrict the internet access for my children both in time and content so would like some advice on the best methods to achieve this. They use a laptop and have iphone / ipads. My initial thought would be to go for user setups but not really sure how this works with iphones etc.

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2016 10:28 #2 by aweaton
Replied by aweaton on topic Re: Home setup for resticting Internet access
User-based set-ups won't work well with devices that don't present login screens such as games consoles. What we have done using rule-based set-up:

• 1) Assigned static IP addresses to kids devices from the DHCP server so we can easily check/monitor in data flow monitor (
Diagnostics >> Data Flow Monitor) whether devices are being used at that given moment.
2) Created an IP Object (Objects Setting >> IP Object) for each of kids' device MAC address. The created an IP Group (Objects Setting >> IP Group) for kids devices.
3) Created scheduled firewall rules (using IP Group) which blocks kids' internet access at night. Well more to the point, we allow access to only specific devices at night, all other devices are blocked. Use this as a basis: http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1424&Itemid=293&lang=en
4) Use OpenDNS to restrict access to inappropriate content. Good details here: https://support.opendns.com/entries/57936810-Draytek-2830 . If you want to view blocked content you can always set the DNS server IP address manually on your device and add a firewall rule to allow it.

Tech savvy kids will always find a way around restrictions but this makes it harder. We use these rules in conjunction with dicsusing with the kids what we expect of their internet use and no phones in their rooms at night.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.