• wil
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Apr 2016 00:09 #1 by wil
2830 / 2850 repeater. was created by wil
Hi all

I have a 2850vn that I used to replace my previous 2830 n because the built in vdsl modem meant I could ditch the BT modem.

Now I have that working, I wanted to use the 2830 as a wifi repeater to boost the signal upstairs.

I set it all up as per the guides (turn off dhcp, change ip etc) I see here, and the two routers could see each other, I was getting a "U" in the link status page, but after a couple of minutes, the 2830 just "disappears". I was connected to it via the ethernet port on my laptop, but suddenly the admin console vanished, no connection to the router at all, can't ping it, nothing. In the end I had to factory reset it using the hole on the back of the router. I set it all up again, but the same thing happens, just as I get to the end of the setup, it just falls over.

The really odd thing is that I tried doing it the other way round, with the 2830 acting as the router and the 2850 as the repeater and exactly the same thing happens, which ever way round I do it, the repeater just "freezes" nad has to be factory reset.

Don't suppose anyone here has any suggestions that aren't too difficult for my semi-technical brain to understand ?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2016 08:20 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2830 / 2850 repeater.
Sorry didn't read your post properly...please ignore this post

• wil
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Apr 2016 13:04 #3 by wil
Replied by wil on topic Re: 2830 / 2850 repeater.
Hi all,

well i've made some progress but still can't get it to work.

It turns out that when i disabled DHCP on the repeater (2830) for some reason my laptop would decide to use the subnet 255.255.0.0 whereas the router was 255.255.255.0, so once i changed that in windows all was fine again and i can connect to the repeater admin console on its new ip.

Having said that, it still doesn't work. :-(

I can see from the link status that both routers are showing the status as "U", which should mean it's working, but i should be able to ping the 2850 (router) from the laptop that is wired to the 2830 (repeater), shouldn't i?

I'm still puzzled.

• wil
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Apr 2016 14:57 #4 by wil
Replied by wil on topic Re: 2830 / 2850 repeater.
me again,

it's working now.

I think it was a security setting somewhere, i was checking and re-checking al the settings in security in case i missed something and it suddenly started working. I must have changed something, but i'm not sure what.

Thanks anyway. :-)