DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 130 not responding to factory reset

• neiljt141
  • Topic Author
More
07 Apr 2016 00:11 #1 by neiljt141
I'm trying to get a Vigor 130 going with a Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite as a PPPoE client, to connect to BT Infinity, so (leaving aside the configuration of the router itself) I am not expecting to have to make any adjustments to the settings on the 130.

That said, after a couple of days of trying, it was time to poke about in the 130, to see if any light could be shed. I resisted the urge to make any changes *except* to the admin password, and to the Internet login details. The login details I set via telnet using "internet -u neil@btbroadband.com", and "internet -p mymadeuppw". This at least allowed the modem to connect to BT, and this could be seen via vdsl status (I think), which displayed the expected upsteam & downstream connection speeds.

I've now removed the login details (internet -u "", etc.), but to remove all doubt I would like to do a factory reset. When I do so, however, the device login password does not get reset. And the BT loging details also survived the forst 2 or 3 reset attempts. I'm pretty sure I'm following the instructions (Switch on, hold in reset button for 10 seconds, release), and I have even tried variations, e.g. switch unit on with reset already pressed, power cycle once more after reset, etc. But it doesn't actually reset.

Has anyone else struggled with this? Does anyone know how to do a factory reset properly? (Bonus points of you can tell me why the 130 is not hearing the router, but in fairness that's probably for a separate forum :-) )

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• macavity
  • User
  • User
More
07 Apr 2016 11:57 #2 by macavity
Replied by macavity on topic Re: Vigor 130 not responding to factory reset
Sounds like you're doing a reset via the button correct. Press and hold the reset buttion until the ACT LED starts flashing quickly instead of once a second.

There is a reset option in the Web UI as well that might be worth trying via system maintenance > reboot system.

If you're still doubting if its resetting, then you coulld reflash using the .rst file - as that put a firmware image on that includes default settings and overrides anything set on the unit.

• neiljt141
  • Topic Author
More
07 Apr 2016 15:25 #3 by neiljt141
Replied by neiljt141 on topic Re: Vigor 130 not responding to factory reset
Thanks for the suggestions -- I'll try each until I find the one that works, and report back here.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
08 Apr 2016 06:58 #4 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 130 not responding to factory reset
I had the same issues with the Vigor 130 out of the box. Couldn't clear settings no matter what I tried.

The answer was to upgrade to the latest firmware and use the .rst file to clear all the settings.

I have had no issues since on 2 BT based ISP's.

With BT you should be able to simply plug in the Vigor , leave every at default settings apart from a change of DNS if you want, then in the router enter your ISP account settings.

• johnmiller
  • User
  • User
More
08 Apr 2016 18:19 #5 by johnmiller
Replied by johnmiller on topic Re: Vigor 130 not responding to factory reset
PPPoE credentials go in the PPPoE client of EdgeRouter, not Vigor 130.

Vigor 130 is a bridge, simply turns the phoneline RJ11 into an RJ45 for you.

• neiljt141
  • Topic Author
More
09 Apr 2016 20:39 #6 by neiljt141
Replied by neiljt141 on topic Re: Vigor 130 not responding to factory reset
Thanks to all who responded. Yes, I realise that for BT this should be plug'n'go, and that the credentials are passed from the router. I was trying to assert that both components were in the expected configuration.

In the end I didn't need to reset the 130 (which appears to be at the latest firmware vn). The router now logs me on, though I still have a way to go to get it properly set up. Still, I think the 130's OK at this point.