DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 130 not responding to factory reset

More
17 Sep 2016 17:33 #7 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 130 not responding to factory reset
I recently updated my 130's firmware to 3.7.4BT - I did this in my usual way by connecting the 130 directly to a PC and accessing it via 192.168.2.1

All appeared to go well, and indeed the 130 still acts as a vdsl modem if I plug it into the WAN port on a router.

However, if I try to access it directly by plugging into a PC or Mac as before the connected computer cannot obtain an IP address from the 130 and hence I can no longer access it.

I have tried hard re-setting (many times) but this makes no difference. It seems that the 130 is no longer functioning as a dhcp server.

Is it effectively "bricked" as far as future updates go or does anyone know a way of persuading it to behave as it did before the latest update?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2016 18:48 #8 by jedi98

Piste Basher wrote: It seems that the 130 is no longer functioning as a dhcp server.

If it's just the DHCP not functioning then you should still be able to access it by setting a static address on your local area connection, say 192.168.2.10 for example on your PC/MAC. I think you can get away with IP=192.168.2.10, Netmask=255.255.255.0, Gateway=192.168.2.1 then just access it as normal, as long as the actual IP of the 130 is still at the default. I have had to do this for many similar devices in the past that either do not have DHCP or where I have intentionally disabled the DHCP.

More
18 Sep 2016 08:59 #9 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 130 not responding to factory reset
Thanks very much, I should have thought of that :roll:

Using those settings I can access the 130. Interestingly though it claims that its dhcp server is enabled, with no change in the settings from before the firmware upgrade. However, if I put the PC back into dhcp mode it just doesn't work - the PC self-assigns a "black hole" IP (same with 3 different PC's and a Mac).

Still, at least I can access the 130 if I have to now.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
18 Sep 2016 18:11 #10 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 130 not responding to factory reset

Piste Basher wrote: Thanks very much, I should have thought of that :roll:

Using those settings I can access the 130. Interestingly though it claims that its dhcp server is enabled, with no change in the settings from before the firmware upgrade. However, if I put the PC back into dhcp mode it just doesn't work - the PC self-assigns a "black hole" IP (same with 3 different PC's and a Mac).

Still, at least I can access the 130 if I have to now.

You are not alone, many people are having this issue with the latest firmware upgrade. Seems best to use the .all file not the .rst.

Support sent this :

Thank you for contacting technical support.

Simply set a static on your PC of 192.168.2.10 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and the gateway: 192.168.2.1
Please see the link below for instructions on how to set a static IP address (Windows)

Once in I checked and found several settings were changed and DHCP server was set to off.

More
19 Sep 2016 09:42 #11 by admin3
For anyone wondering why the DHCP on the V130 appears to not be working (giving out a 169.x.x.x address instead of 192.168.2.x), this is because the 3.7.4BT firmware puts the modem into Bridge mode instead of PPPoE Pass-Through, because bridge mode allows both PPPoE traffic and multicast (IPTV) traffic through, where pppoe pass-through doesn't.
Because of this, the modem behaves more like a VDSL > Ethernet bridge; if the VDSL connection is up and the remote side (ISP) doesn't give an IP address to the client PC via DHCP, the PC will assign itself the 169.x.x.x address.
Setting up a PPPoE connection on the client PC would work though.

With 3.7.4BT firmware, the best thing to do is set the IP address manually to manage it.

Forum Administrator

More
20 Sep 2016 20:50 #12 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: Vigor 130 not responding to factory reset
Interesting I'm using that firmware and didn't have this issue. Just flashed it and it worked. Perhaps it's because I went from a different firmware version and settings were retained???