Prioritise Sonos and Spotify

• elbartino
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Apr 2016 15:51 #1 by elbartino
Prioritise Sonos and Spotify was created by elbartino
Hello. First post and a bit green so please bear with me. Im wanting to prioritise my sonos and spotify so that if someone is using an online game or the like on the same network my audio won't stall. Spotify I've been told uses random ports, so to solve this Im thinking I can assign a fixed IP via MAC reservation for my sonos speakers and then create a Class rule on QOS that has the range of the IP addresses of the Sonos gear in them and then on WAN1 where all traffic goes give class1 the priority percentage. Could someone tell me am I in the correct ball park and should this work or am I miles off? Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2016 17:06 #2 by aweaton
Replied by aweaton on topic Re: Prioritise Sonos and Spotify

elbartino wrote: Hello. First post and a bit green so please bear with me. Im wanting to prioritise my sonos and spotify so that if someone is using an online game or the like on the same network my audio won't stall. Spotify I've been told uses random ports, so to solve this Im thinking I can assign a fixed IP via MAC reservation for my sonos speakers and then create a Class rule on QOS that has the range of the IP addresses of the Sonos gear in them and then on WAN1 where all traffic goes give class1 the priority percentage. Could someone tell me am I in the correct ball park and should this work or am I miles off? Thanks in advance.

We have Sonos with Spotify (connected via a Sonos Boost) in our house and have no drop outs because of gaming kids. In fact it is rock solid.
Looking at Data Flow Monitor (Diagnostics >> Data Flow Monitor) Spotify uses about 550kbit per stream. If you are running a Spotify stream to multiple Sonos devices, only 1 stream is used (i.e. 550Kbit). Of course you may have issue If your broadband is really slow or your WiFi is congested (and not using a Sonos Bridge or Boost).

All that being said, yes you could create a QoS rule but I have read somewhere running QoS reduces the overall performance of DrayTek Vigor routers. Another option is to limit the bandwidth of your kids' devices (Bandwidth Management >> Bandwidth Limit) and stream away happilly. :D

• elbartino
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Apr 2016 21:10 #3 by elbartino
Replied by elbartino on topic Re: Prioritise Sonos and Spotify
Ok thats good thank you. Do you know is the method I mentioned the correct way to set up the QOS?

aweaton wrote:

elbartino wrote: Hello. First post and a bit green so please bear with me. Im wanting to prioritise my sonos and spotify so that if someone is using an online game or the like on the same network my audio won't stall. Spotify I've been told uses random ports, so to solve this Im thinking I can assign a fixed IP via MAC reservation for my sonos speakers and then create a Class rule on QOS that has the range of the IP addresses of the Sonos gear in them and then on WAN1 where all traffic goes give class1 the priority percentage. Could someone tell me am I in the correct ball park and should this work or am I miles off? Thanks in advance.

We have Sonos with Spotify (connected via a Sonos Boost) in our house and have no drop outs because of gaming kids. In fact it is rock solid.
Looking at Data Flow Monitor (Diagnostics >> Data Flow Monitor) Spotify uses about 550kbit per stream. If you are running a Spotify stream to multiple Sonos devices, only 1 stream is used (i.e. 550Kbit). Of course you may have issue If your broadband is really slow or your WiFi is congested (and not using a Sonos Bridge or Boost).

All that being said, yes you could create a QoS rule but I have read somewhere running QoS reduces the overall performance of DrayTek Vigor routers. Another option is to limit the bandwidth of your kids' devices (Bandwidth Management >> Bandwidth Limit) and stream away happilly. :D

• elbartino
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Apr 2016 20:07 #4 by elbartino
Anyone??

More
12 Apr 2016 06:56 #5 by aweaton
Replied by aweaton on topic Re: Prioritise Sonos and Spotify

elbartino wrote: Ok thats good thank you. Do you know is the method I mentioned the correct way to set up the QOS?

Sorry it's not something I have done myself. Have you checked the knowledge base for QoS?

• elbartino
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Apr 2016 08:25 #6 by elbartino
I did have a look but couldn't find the answer. Thank you for the reply

aweaton wrote:

elbartino wrote: Ok thats good thank you. Do you know is the method I mentioned the correct way to set up the QOS?

Sorry it's not something I have done myself. Have you checked the knowledge base for QoS?