Vigor 120 - Suddenly stopped working.

• tigerrob
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Apr 2016 21:23 #1 by tigerrob
Vigor 120 - Suddenly stopped working. was created by tigerrob
Vigor 120 behind a Meraki MX60 as the PPoE client. Connecting to Sky Broadband.

Everything's been great from the last 13 months with pretty much no loss of service during this time. 24 hours ago I suddenly started seeing a lot of drops on what is usually a very stable ADSL line (and I've confirmed the line is OK with a different router).

The 120 currently powers up with POWER, ACT, DSL and INTERNET lights on solidly, even with nothing connected, and appears to never do anything else. I can't even get a PC connected to the ethernet port to work to access the UI. No ethernet link lights; LAN led never lights.

The 120 doesn't even appear to do anything when the reset button is pressed and held. As I can't get a connection I can't even try re-flashing to reset.

Any suggestions? Could it be a power supply issue? Time for a new modem?

Your wisdom greatly appreciated.

Rob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nrb501
  • User
  • User
More
11 Apr 2016 08:00 #2 by nrb501
Replied by nrb501 on topic Re: Vigor 120 - Suddenly stopped working.
If none of the LEDs flash the it sounds like the modem is goosed. You could try another power supply if you have one, but you should be able to find a 120 cheaply enough on the auction sites.

• tigerrob
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Apr 2016 08:11 #3 by tigerrob
Replied by tigerrob on topic Re: Vigor 120 - Suddenly stopped working.

nrb501 wrote: If none of the LEDs flash the it sounds like the modem is goosed. You could try another power supply if you have one, but you should be able to find a 120 cheaply enough on the auction sites.

Thank you. I'll be moving to a 130 to give me some FTTC options at a later date. I'm a bit disappointed that the 120 has only lasted 13 months, I would have hoped for a few more years out of it.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
11 Apr 2016 11:10 #4 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 120 - Suddenly stopped working.

TigerRob wrote:

nrb501 wrote: If none of the LEDs flash the it sounds like the modem is goosed. You could try another power supply if you have one, but you should be able to find a 120 cheaply enough on the auction sites.

Thank you. I'll be moving to a 130 to give me some FTTC options at a later date. I'm a bit disappointed that the 120 has only lasted 13 months, I would have hoped for a few more years out of it.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/warranty

All new DrayTek routers purchased through official UK channels have a manufacturer's 2-year warranty to the original purchaser (proof of purchase is always required).All new DrayTek routers purchased through official UK channels have a manufacturer's 2-year warranty to the original purchaser (proof of purchase is always required).

Also the Sale of Goods Act in Europe/ UK would say that the retailer has responsibility to make good here, 13 months is not a reasonable life for a modem.

• tigerrob
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Apr 2016 12:22 #5 by tigerrob

TigerRob wrote: I'm a bit disappointed that the 120 has only lasted 13 months, I would have hoped for a few more years out of it.

AdrianH54 wrote:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/warranty

All new DrayTek routers purchased through official UK channels have a manufacturer's 2-year warranty to the original purchaser (proof of purchase is always required).

Also the Sale of Goods Act in Europe/ UK would say that the retailer has responsibility to make good here, 13 months is not a reasonable life for a modem.

Thank you. I found that too. The manual for my 120 clearly states that the manufacturer's warranty is only 12 months, but I have already emailed support requesting service either under warranty or Sale of Goods Act (1979) - fit for purpose. We'll see what they say.

R.

• tigerrob
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Apr 2016 19:13 #6 by tigerrob
To close off this thread.

(1) The 2 year warranty quoted in previous posts of this thread is for routers, not modems. Modems only get a 12 month warranty. I don't understand why, as pretty much each router they sell contains a modem, and it's all presumably based on similar hardware and software, but that's the rules.

(2) Despite being (just) out of warranty Draytek UK have kindly agreed to repair my modem FOC.

So my :D for Draytek and my faith restored. (and the 120 will be re-purposed, as I already have a new 130 running as my main modem)

R.