DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Recomendations needed

• sherlock
  • Topic Author
More
25 Apr 2016 06:52 #1 by sherlock
Recomendations needed was created by sherlock
I need to get a Wifi-Fibre-Router and need to know what sets DT over the likes of AsusRT-AC68U and similar. I have been used to DT and it reliability over the past 6 years and have not really made use of its built in software save for the keys things, but with such good write ups re the Asus, I am now at the point where I don't know what to do and cannot make a decision. I will be using it in a mixed Win/Mac environment. I want the latest specs so it is future proof at least for a year or two.
Any thoughts or views would be appreciated so I can make an "informed decision".
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2016 11:24 #2 by aweaton
Replied by aweaton on topic Re: Recomendations needed

sherlock wrote: I need to get a Wifi-Fibre-Router and need to know what sets DT over the likes of AsusRT-AC68U and similar. I have been used to DT and it reliability over the past 6 years and have not really made use of its built in software save for the keys things, but with such good write ups re the Asus, I am now at the point where I don't know what to do and cannot make a decision. I will be using it in a mixed Win/Mac environment. I want the latest specs so it is future proof at least for a year or two.
Any thoughts or views would be appreciated so I can make an "informed decision".
Thanks

If you go down the Asus route I would suggest putting Tomato by Shibby http://tomato.groov.pl/ . Much better features than the stock firmware, more stable and better security (regularly updated for known security patches). I have owned Asus RT-N66U with Tomato by Shibby and DrayTek 2860ac. The DrayTek, so far, has proved very reliable. The Asus with Tomato needed some tweaking to keep it reliable. I went for the DrayTek this time as I wanted a device with a built-in VDSL modem.

More
01 May 2016 13:09 #3 by lorian
Replied by lorian on topic Re: Recomendations needed
Only be aware the Asus RT-AC68U is the one without a modem.