Ethernet Ports suddenly stopped working

• westhamm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 May 2016 10:13 #1 by westhamm
Ethernet Ports suddenly stopped working was created by westhamm
Hi all, had an electrician doing some work yesterday which involved the power being off for a few hours. Since then my Draytek 2860 router has stopped providing internet access via the ethernet hard wired ports - wifi is fine. Before I head in to do a factory reset is there something simple here that I should be looking for to see if the power cut has disabled something please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2016 08:37 #2 by admin
What sort of work was he doing...did he go near any of your ethernet/CAT5 cables ?

Forum Administrator

• westhamm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 May 2016 12:05 #3 by westhamm
Replied by westhamm on topic Re: Ethernet Ports suddenly stopped working
It was basic adding of extra sockets so the power was off for about 3-hours. Could this have caused a loss of all of the settings perhaps? I have a netgear switch taking a feed from the ethernet port and this shows both lights on (for gigabit) but they are solid yellow without the normal flickering to show data is coming through - if this helps?!

More
08 May 2016 14:02 #4 by admin
Okay, so that should be unrealted, unless there was a sudden surge when everything got switched off (it's a good idea to turn stuff off before power is restored) but it's wouldn't normally kill stuff.
If Ethernet lights are on, hopefully hardware is okay - are plugged in devices getting and IP address (DHCP) - are they able to ping the router ?

Forum Administrator

• westhamm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 May 2016 15:08 #5 by westhamm
Replied by westhamm on topic Re: Ethernet Ports suddenly stopped working

admin wrote: Okay, so that should be unrealted, unless there was a sudden surge when everything got switched off (it's a good idea to turn stuff off before power is restored) but it's wouldn't normally kill stuff.
If Ethernet lights are on, hopefully hardware is okay - are plugged in devices getting and IP address (DHCP) - are they able to ping the router ?

Just tried and getting 'No route to host'

The dashboard for the Draytek shows the connected ethernet ports coloured as amber/orange if this helps?

More
09 May 2016 08:16 #6 by admin
Sound like you're not getting an IP address; can you check that specifically - what is the IP address of the PC ?

Backup the router's config and then do a factory reset to see if you can then talk to the router...

Forum Administrator