2.4 & 5ghz wifi bridge to the lan? 2860ac router AirPrint

• robin c
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 May 2016 20:46 #1 by robin c
Hi,

I have real simple setup Virgin cable router set to modem pass through, vigor 2860ac router handling wifi and a netgear basic Gbit switch for wired kit.

I have the 2.4 & 5Ghz wifi switched on each with a different ssid. A Windows server is sat on the wired network sharing out a printer as both an Apple AirPrint device and a regular windows printer.

My Windows laptop can print regardless of how it connects to the lan, wired or either wifi network.

My iOS devices can only 'see' the AirPrinter when they are connected on the 2.4Ghz wifi but never when connected to the 5Ghz wifi.

I'm guessing that AirPrint is not using TCP/IP but a different protocol (bonjour perhaps) and that the router is only bridging at the lower layer the wired lan and the 2.4Ghz wifi network segments but not the 5Ghz and bridging all at the TCP/IP layer unless I'm missing something else.

Can someone advise if I've missed something, if not can this be fixed in a future firmware release?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2016 19:39 #2 by voodle
That's probably Bonjour traffic, or mDNS, which is UDP multicast/broadcast traffic. I've seen it not work with some firmware on the 2860 but not recently (then again I have no apple things anymore so my experience isn't recent)

• robin c
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jun 2016 19:47 #3 by robin c
Thanks for the reply Voodle, interesting to hear that you've seen this before. Hopefully a firmware revision will return it to working soon.

• robin c
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Aug 2016 22:35 #4 by robin c
I still have this problem and note that it also affects AirPlay between my iOS devices and Sonos devices and Denon amplifier. Will this be fixed in firmware or is it a hardware shortcoming?