• baileyswalk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 May 2016 16:30 #1 by baileyswalk
WAN Speed/connection drops was created by baileyswalk
Hi,

For the last two weeks we have been experiencing terrible connections speeds. When running a speed test it normally starts off OK at around 15Mbps but then drops to 0.7Mbs or below making working almost impossible. Nothing has changed on the router (2830n) for ages and we bought a cheapo one to swap for testing (as we thought it must be our line in) and it worked much better, it did have slight variances but more like 15Mbps dropping to 10Mbps. Is the hardware done? I'd find that hard to believe... is there anything I can try, run/change etc. It really only has a couple of rules set-up on it and I've tried, without success, disabling them also.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2016 19:37 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: WAN Speed/connection drops
It sounds like a line issue and you should contact your ISP first since that could be rain or some other electrical issue doing that.

The draytek's handling of ADSL is quite good in my experience but maybe with your ISP's DSLAM its having issues readjusting speed back up after whatever drops the speed down. It might be worth trying the newest modem code (252901/2471201 if it's a v1, or 571801 if it's a v2)

• baileyswalk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 May 2016 10:00 #3 by baileyswalk
Replied by baileyswalk on topic Re: WAN Speed/connection drops
That was my first thought and we have been on at them for a week. They claim that line tests right up to our building are good, they then insisted we test with another router - which we did and as I said it didn't dropout much at all. So now I'm trying to see if there's any settings I could try to get around this issue. I did read about one of the alternative firmware releases that handles noise on the line better with the reason for the drops being that it's pushing the line too hard and then getting a bunch of failures... I'm not sure tho - is there something I can use to monitor in the router admin which might give me some idea?

More
25 May 2016 23:29 #4 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: WAN Speed/connection drops
Getting syslog from the router might help, at least then you could see what times it occurs.