Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Static Routes

• cristian
  • Topic Author
More
27 May 2016 10:01 #1 by cristian
Static Routes was created by cristian
Hey guys,

I don't know if this has been already discussed. So, i want to have some static routes on my router so it uses some of my network's subnet IP's. Everything was working fine(with the same configuration as after the update) until i did a firmware upgrade(latest). Afterwards, the static routes did not work anymore. I tried enabling/disabling static routes and RIP. Nothing seems to work. The only firmware that i managed to make it work again was a very old one. After downgrading to it(and everything worked again) i tried upgrading again. However, the same problem occured. And now i can not even go back to that very old version because as soon as i do it... The router gets blocked in boot loop. I went as low as i could regading firmware and nothing works. And, as i said the only firmware that should work(or firmwares around that version) put the router into boot loop. I have to tftp the firmware for it to work again. Already done that with quite a lot of versions before coming here.

My question is: should i try to find out other ways to downgrade or should i do more research on the static route? Keep in mind i have more routers with the same configuration almost and they work fine, even after the upgrade.

Thanks in advance and have a good day!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2016 10:14 #2 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Static Routes
I'm not aware of issues with static routes however the most likely cause for problems with static routes after a firmware upgrade in my experience would be the Load Balance / Route Policy facility. I'm not sure if you've got a 2860 or a 2830 but there are firmware differences with each that require slightly different setup.
Load Balance / Policy Route rules can take priority over the routing table (including static routes) and push traffic through to the internet / whichever interface is selected in the policy route rule.
The 2830's Policy Route requires rules made for the static routes higher up in the list than the WAN rules: http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-policy-routing-guide

The 2860's Policy Route has a Metric value added, just make sure that the metric value for the WAN rules is a higher number / lower priority than static routes (150): http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-policy-routing-guide-v2

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.