• gavo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
31 May 2016 22:13 #1 by gavo
Interconnecting two 2860 routers was created by gavo
Hello,

A customer of mine has two 2860 routers, one serving a 192.168.1/24 subnet and the other 192.168.2/24 (with DHCP running on both routers).

Both routers are in the one network cabinet at a "central site" that can get BT fibre broadband and serve their respective sites (that cannot get viable broadband) over point to point wireless bridges.
Both sites perform a separate but very important function that cannot go without internet connectivity for any length of time.

What I want to do is to route between the two routers (a six inch patch lead would interconnect them) so that each site can also use each other's internet connection as a backup and that (when it is installed in the coming weeks) a Windows domain controller can exist in one site to serve all PCs in both sites (they are still using their PCs with local admin logons).

Can someone explain how best to approach this as I don't have much experience with Draytek equipment in this scenario.

Cheers

Gavin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sicon
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jun 2016 11:36 #2 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: Interconnecting two 2860 routers
Have yo considered VLAN on the router (as the gateway) then High Availability?

More
10 Jun 2016 13:54 #3 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Interconnecting two 2860 routers
You could take WAN2 on each router and connect that to LAN on the other but ensure that is VLAN'd off from the rest of the other company's network (LAN). A Port
VLAN should be used in combination with a separate subnet and ensure there's no inter-LAN routing.

Forum Administrator