Viewing Syslog on Draytek 2860ac

• peterharris
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Jun 2016 10:26 #1 by peterharris
Viewing Syslog on Draytek 2860ac was created by peterharris
I have a brand new Draytek 2860ac which I bought because my previous router kept dropping the connection.

Unfortunately the new router is just as bad and drops the ADSL connection every hour or so and sometimes takes several attempts to resync.

My ISP has checked the line out and says there are no faults. I have tried everything I can think of. The router is plugged into the BT test socket. I have tried several microfilters. I have switched every electrical device off in the vicinity of the router but still the problem persists.

I am convinced the problem is with the BT line and a "Quiet Test" when the router is playing up has a lot of crackling on the line.

What I want to see is the syslog from my router but this is not as straightforward as it was with my previous routers. There is a syslog viewer but it seems to delete historic data and only shows events from the time I view it.

There is a facility to save syslog data to a syslog server but the Draytek syslog server does not run on MacOSX. Draytek support tell me that MacOS is no longer supported (!!!) despite the information on their website that says that it is.

There is an alternative that saves syslog data to a usb memory device but so far this has not saved anything

I am at my wits end with this. I am stuck between an ISP that tells me it's not their problem and a router manufacturer that doesn't provide the necessary support tools

Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2016 12:41 #2 by lorian
Replied by lorian on topic Re: Viewing Syslog on Draytek 2860ac
> There is an alternative that saves syslog data to a usb memory device but so far this has not saved anything

Make sure the memory device is format as fat/fat32

The syslog to memory stick should then work, does for me. I also push syslog to a syslog server as well though, and that could just be a pc running some free syslog server app.

• peterharris
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Jun 2016 12:45 #3 by peterharris
Replied by peterharris on topic Re: Viewing Syslog on Draytek 2860ac
Haven't got a PC - all MacOS here which apparently isn't supported. I have read that a Syslog server app is built in to MacOS but I can't understand the stuff I have read on the web.

More
27 Jun 2016 17:32 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Viewing Syslog on Draytek 2860ac
I believe that the usb syslog doesn't show until it is at least 1Mb in size? That could take some time...