Setting up DrayTek Vigor2860n-plus on virgin line

• ishfady
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Aug 2016 14:41 #1 by ishfady
Hi

I have just bought new DrayTek Vigor2860n-plus.
I have virgin line with fixed IPAddress. Virgin has provide me a new fast router. Virgin router is working fine and draytek too.
I would like to keep all the security, user details, vpn setup etc on Draytek.
I have connected LAN from virgin to WAN of Draytek.
I would like to access Draytek router from remote for admin work. Also want to setup vpn connection on draytek.
1) How do access draytek remotely.
2) How would user access vpn which is setup at Drayek.

Please can some guide me or point me in right direction.

Many thanks
Ish

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• j1mbo
  • User
  • User
More
04 Aug 2016 14:55 #2 by j1mbo
You need to put your Virgin device into modem mode, so that the assigned static IP becomes bound to your Draytek WAN interface.

Then you need to enable remote management on the Draytek and the VPN should work too.

More
06 Aug 2016 14:11 #3 by paulb513
I have much the same set up - Virgin Superhub and Vigor 2860ac.

It is possible to get VPN working on the Draytek via the Superhub. There are two protocols you might want to use for VPN and the configurations you need to make which are described here
https://www.ivpn.net/pptp-vs-l2tp-vs-openvpn

For PPTP you will need to configure the Superhub advanced settings to allow Port forwarding on port 1723. You also need to be sure what IP address your Draytek is on to set the forwarding rule. You can do this by reserving an address for the Vigor - also in the superhub settings.

Configure your users and the PPTP in the Vigor and you should be good to go. By reading a few articles on VPN I taught myself how to do this quite quickly - I'm not an expert.
I think a port forwarding rule to the WAN Management port of the Vigor would also get that working.

If you want to use L2TP over ipSec for your VPN (which is more secure) then you need first to switch the superhub into modem only mode. Configuring the L2TP VPN on the Vigor will then work because the Vigor has a public ip address. You can't do L2TP/ipSec by port forwarding in the superhub because NAT is not permitted within the VPN tunnel. It looks as if it should work but it doesn't. This is because the Superhub doesn't support a feature called edge-traversal and isn't a fault in the Vigor VPN settings.