2860n-plus with routed public subnet and home lab

• dhardy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Aug 2016 20:41 #1 by dhardy
Hello all,

I have a 2860n-plus with 8 IPs from Zen.

I want to be able to use the 2860n+ for general internet with tv/phone/tablet/wifi whilst also being able to have a lan connection to my lab and for the lab to have a couple of my public IPs.

Is it possible to have an ethernet port that exposes just the routed public IPs which I can connect to my lab separate from the LAN IPs?

Am I missing an obvious trick where I can serve out IPs using PPPoE or something? I have a Cisco ASA 5505 which I would also like to be able to have working with a real IP on the WAN interface.

I previously had the ASA connecting using PPPoE through a Vigor 130 and that worked ish, except I couldn't get real internet IPs into the lab.

Any ideas?

TIA

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2016 09:12 #2 by piste basher
Use the VLAN feature to split off the ports you want to use and then Load Balance/Route Policy to route the WAN IP(s) you want to use via those ports :?:

• dhardy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Aug 2016 19:57 #3 by dhardy
That advice was spot on!

I also followed this https://www.draytek.co.uk/archive/kb/kb_vigor_2ndsubnet.html to get the WAN subnet working properly

It all pointed me in the right direction so what I have in place that seems to be working OK now is:

Wan is x.x.x.x14 / 255.255.255.248 by dhcp from zen
Routed subnet is x.x.x.x08/29
the IP I assigned to the 2nd subnet was x.x.x.x13

x.x.x.x09 was already natted to my NAS and still is :-)
x.x.x.x10 to x12 is the VM public IP pool and x.x.x.x13 is the gateway IP for the pool.

All of this is coming down ports 1 and 2 on the 2860+ and I still need to check that the networks are hygienically separated.

Thanks

David