DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2830 maximum bandwidth - download/upload?

• dansw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Aug 2016 12:21 #1 by dansw
Hi,

We are currently on a 50 meg fibre line hooked into our Vigor 2830. If I wanted to change to a faster fibre e.g. 100 meg would that actually work with the Vigor 2830 being that the max supported is meant to be 50 megs? Does it simply cap it or would it have to be set up differently from the get go?

Also, is upload speed capped too? We currently have up to 5meg upload with our current line but the 100meg fibre comes with an increased 15meg upload. My hypothesis is that the 100meg line would be useable (but capped at 50) but we would benefit from the increased upload....

?

Thanks

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
13 Aug 2016 17:19 #2 by hornbyp
I currently have a pair of 2830n's (V1).

One of them is connected to VirginMedia 100/6 Fibre, via a Superhub 1 in modem-mode. Last month it achieved an average of 77.45Mbps down, 6.21Mbps up (according to Samknows ) - I keep getting emails from VirginMedia's Samknows coordinator, concerned at my poor download speeds. They said they were going to send me a new Red Ethernet cable :lol: :roll:

I had to disable Inbound QOS to get the above speed, but the firewall is still in use (and it has a huge list of miscreants to plough through, trying to use my setup for their DNS Reflection attacks...).

I tried some speedtests with "Enable DOS defense" disabled ... and the Samknows box (TP-Link TL-WR1043ND) out of circuit.

Not too shabby :)

• dansw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Aug 2016 07:50 #3 by dansw
LOL, thanks for this, Draytek told me the firewall on these things should cope with 90 megs and it is good to see the speeds you are getting...I too have a second 2830 as backup in case the first one goes down!

Dan

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
17 Aug 2016 12:16 #4 by hornbyp
Actually the other 2830n is in a holiday home, and is the other end of a site-to-site VPN :)

I'd assumed that the 2830n was the reason that my average download speeds (as reported by Samknows) weren't as high as advertised, but it turns out that other things in my setup were to blame. One of these is the Samknows Whitebox (aka TPLink TL-1043ND), which is itself limiting throughput :roll:

But in any case, Download speed is fairly academic - it's the paltry 6Mbps Upload that is my biggest concern...