Vigor2860n antennae specifications

• garydrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Aug 2016 09:44 #1 by garydrew
Vigor2860n antennae specifications was created by garydrew
I have just bought and installed a Vigor2860n for my home network. It is up and running well.

With the product I received two wireless antennae but I cannot find anywhere on the box or in the documentation/manual what the specification is. Can anyone please provide the dBi rating, e.g. 5dBi, 7dBi, 10dBi, etc. I may wish to upgrade the antennae. DrayTek support have ignored my query so I am hoping somebody here may know the answer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2016 11:00 #2 by paulb513
Replied by paulb513 on topic Re: Vigor2860n antennae specifications
I have a 2860ac which replaced a failed 2130n.

I notice that the antennae supplied with the 2860ac are clearly marked as dual band but I believe the 2860n is 2.4GHz only? I did very extensive experimentation with 2.4GHz antennae on my 2130n and found that using a high 12db gain model from Amazon got very good results.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LC1BVPE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are omni-directional and so will spread signal in all directions. I put them on the end of SMA pigtail leads and simply ran a lead through the floor from an upstairs office so that I could mount an antenna in the corner of the living room where I wanted it.

These were obviously no good for the dual band 2860ac so I am now using these Draytek dual band uni-directional antennas:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014PSPGI8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are very good and reduce signal spread into the street where it obviously does no good at all. I have turned my 2.4GHz network off now because I am getting such good 5GHz coverage.
https://s4.postimg.org/micghc9bx/5_GHz_Signal.jpg

For a long range USB network adapter which allowed my laptop to work at long distances from the router, I had good luck with this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00V5KSIZS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

More
15 Aug 2016 09:16 #3 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Vigor2860n antennae specifications

GaryDrew wrote: DrayTek support have ignored my query.

Highly unlikely....

Anyway, that are around 2dB which is a good general purpose spec. and normally not necessary to change. Why do you want to ?

Forum Administrator

• garydrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Aug 2016 10:16 #4 by garydrew
Replied by garydrew on topic Re: Vigor2860n antennae specifications
The walls in my building are very thick and solid brick. There is no option for relocating my wireless gear, as it is I need repeaters. Changing antennae may (may not) make a difference but it's worth a try.

I have 3 open tickets with DrayTek support from over a week ago and still no response.

More
16 Aug 2016 08:38 #5 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Vigor2860n antennae specifications
It seems unlikely that 3 different technicians "ignored you", no? Check your spam folders etc...

The antennae may make a bit of difference but if it doesn't work at all now, it's always going to be borderline so running cables or using homeplug or something else might be the best long term bet...

Forum Administrator

• garydrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Aug 2016 09:42 #6 by garydrew
Replied by garydrew on topic Re: Vigor2860n antennae specifications
I did finally get a reply this morning telling me that the antennae are 3dBi each, which is lower than I had expected, I imagined that they might be 5dBi.

Interestingly, the technician’s reply made reference to an earlier reply that I never received. I always check my spam folders and they have been empty all along, so I can only assume that the previous reply got lost en route, perhaps at the DrayTek server end. Likewise the other tickets.