DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor2860n antennae specifications

More
16 Aug 2016 14:06 #7 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Vigor2860n antennae specifications
Why would you want the standard ones to be 5dB - 3dB is ideal for general purpose.

If you bought a hosepipe and it came with a spray attachment, would you be happy if that attachment only had "powerful narrow jet" ? Not much good for general watering
unless you only needed it to water hanging baskets 30ft in the air... This is exactly how aerials work.

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2016 14:19 #8 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor2860n antennae specifications
Quite so; an aerial is a passive device and can only produce "gain" by focussing the energy supplied to it in certain directions. If your receiving device is not in one of these lobes of a high gain antenna you will receive less signal than from an omnidirectional low gain one.

• garydrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Aug 2016 20:29 #9 by garydrew
Replied by garydrew on topic Re: Vigor2860n antennae specifications

admin wrote: Why would you want the standard ones to be 5dB - 3dB is ideal for general purpose.

Reason: in the past with different wireless equipment I have upgraded to higher gain antennae and have found it has helped with signal strength. I understand that there is no guarantee of an improvement but I am open-minded and willing to give it a try.

More
17 Aug 2016 20:26 #10 by admin

GaryDrew wrote:

admin wrote: Why would you want the standard ones to be 5dB - 3dB is ideal for general purpose.

Reason: in the past with different wireless equipment I have upgraded to higher gain antennae and have found it has helped with signal strength. I understand that there is no guarantee of an improvement but I am open-minded and willing to give it a try.

Not sure you understand me - the product has to be sold for general usage, so providing a high-gain aerial as standard would be worse for most people...

Forum Administrator

• garydrew
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Aug 2016 09:16 #11 by garydrew
Replied by garydrew on topic Re: Vigor2860n antennae specifications
Yes, I understand. My confusion arose because when I looked at the antennae on my new Vigor 2860 they looked slightly bigger than the typical short rubber-ducks on my other wireless equipment, that’s why I wondered if they might have been slightly more powerful.

Interestingly, I noticed that some IP camera manufacturers, such as Tenvis, did briefly bring out revised products with stronger antennae. Perhaps that was just a marketing tactic.

I also did upgrade the antennae on one of my WAPs and on some of my IP cameras and it did help with signal reception. I guess it's hit and miss for different equipment.

More
19 Aug 2016 10:48 #12 by admin

GaryDrew wrote: stronger antennae

More focussed/narrow not stronger :-)

Forum Administrator