DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Dual WAN load balancing advice

More
02 Sep 2016 12:24 #1 by jimus
Dual WAN load balancing advice was created by jimus
Load balancing Dual WAN router - advice

I have two internet connections, one VDSL and one ADSL2+ on separate lines and have combined the two with a load balancing dual WAN router. In service I currently have a TP-Link ES5120 doing this job and although it does have the capability it is proving unreliable and crashes at an unacceptable frequency, the TP-Link is new but the last firmware update was in 2014 so I am rapidly drawing the conclusion I need to replace it.

My requirements would be as follows :

• Dual WAN : Needs to play nice with the two Zyxel VMG8924 routers in bridge mode I use as modems for each of the two connections (one VDSL and one ADSL), both are PPPOE to PLusnet and Zen ISP's respectively

• No need for wireless as I have separate WAP's but might consider wireless model to upgrade to 11ac if there was a nominal price difference

• Need remote access and administration

• Need stability as I am away from home and using remote access for long periods of time

• Need load balancing and preferbly rules-based load distribution as well as failover capability

• VPN capability

• Would like to be able to specify DNS servers as I use OpenDNS for the filters

I have had positive experiences with Draytek equipment in the past and was thinking of a 2925 model to replace the TP-Link.

I have done my homework, downloaded the manual and looked at the GUI emulator and it appears that the 2925 line does meet my requirements, but its always worth checking :) Do you think its the best choice?

I would be grateful for any responses from people using a Draytek multi-WAN router in this way and whether it is suitable for my requirements. Any comments on stability and load-balancing performance also appreciated ....

Many thanks

jimus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2016 07:37 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Dual WAN load balancing advice
This is not a pre-sales forum; T&Cs state it's for existing owners only. Ask pre-sales dept.

Forum Administrator

More
04 Sep 2016 09:03 #3 by jimus
Replied by jimus on topic Re: Dual WAN load balancing advice

admin wrote: This is not a pre-sales forum; T&Cs state it's for existing owners only. Ask pre-sales dept.

OK then, where is the pre-sales forum?

EDIT : Feel free to delete this thread, I will take my query elsewhere

More
04 Sep 2016 17:46 #4 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Dual WAN load balancing advice
There is no pre-sales forum - forum is for user-to-user. Email to info@draytek.co.uk

Forum Administrator