Automatic adjustment of bandwidth

• theia
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Sep 2016 10:49 #1 by theia
Automatic adjustment of bandwidth was created by theia
Bandwidth Management basics (Using a 2850Vn)

I would like to check out my understanding of Bandwidth Management settings.
With NO entries in the Limitation list... Could someone correct my understanding here please?? ...

It is really the ADSL limits that are the issue. The Ethernet and Wifi send without issue.

Bandwidth Limit Enabled

a) If 'Allow auto adjustment' IS selected, then the MAXIMUM speeds to and from each IP address (both TX and RX) are worked out automatically, and the 'Default TX & Rx Limits' are ignored.

b) If 'Allow auto adjustment' is NOT selected, then the MAXIMUM speeds to and from each IP address (both TX and RX) will be governed by the 'Default TX & Rx Limits'

Bandwidth Limit Disabled (This is the one I'm trying to get my head around...)

a) If 'Allow auto adjustment' IS selected, then the MAXIMUM speeds to and from each IP address (both TX and RX) are worked out automatically, and the 'Default TX & Rx Limits' are ignored.

b) a) If 'Allow auto adjustment' is NOT selected, then the MAXIMUM speeds to and from each IP address (both TX and RX) are worked out automatically, and the 'Default TX & Rx Limits' are ignored.

Finally, a proposed setting for our 6 (mainly Internet) users.

a) I want to clarify whether it as simple as just enabling the 'Bandwidth limit' setting plus 'Auto-Adjustment', and then set the 'Default TX & Rx Limits' to the maximum of our ADSL line (i.e. TX800 and RX4300). - But does that 'setting to our 4mb/s total connection for each user screw up continual automatic adjustment of the bandwidth - where it is working so hard at auto adjustment that it actually goes slower than just setting everyone to a lower figure of 1600?

b) The Auto Adjustment has still not been perfect for our needs.. How can I control different requirements on bandwidth.. By using QoS?
Essentially I have discovered that the users would prefer whover gets 'just' the streaming TV bandwidth, to have a good connection and stop another user trying to do the same, because otherwise it ends up with two users with a degraded picture, rather than one happy user.
In addition while all this is going on, most others want to do Facebook, which inevitably means they want to replay some of the video clips on the Facebook site.

Any clarification/teaching ideas help here gratefully received!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.