DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2860 - WAN2 - Auto Negotiate - Maximum 10M

• laughingjon
  • Topic Author
More
09 Sep 2016 15:45 #1 by laughingjon
Hi All

I have just upgraded my internet connection to a 20Mbps connection from Airband (i am rural and upgrading from 1.8Mbps BT ADSL)

However, I appear to be having an issue with my Draytek 2860 router using the Airband connection on WAN2.

Under WAN->general setup->Wan2 - if i select anything other than Auto Negotiate or 10M i get no internet connection at all.

If i select 10M or Auto Negotiate i do get a connection however, it limits the speed of the incoming connection to 10Mbps.

On the draytek under WAN -> Internet Access -> The connection itself is configured as "Static or Dynamic" and then it is set to obtain IP address automatically.

If i take the connection from WAN2 and plug it directly into my Laptop i get 20Mbps.

Looking at the Antenna on the house it appears to be a Ubiquiti Power Beam unit.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would rather not replace my router as only recently bought it so hoping someone could shed some light on why the router refuses to connect at anything more than 10M.

Thanks in advance
Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2016 16:10 #2 by admin3
Try a basic switch in-between the wireless link and the DrayTek's WAN port, that may help.

Whether or not it fixes the issue though, I recommend reporting this issue to the support team so that it can be looked into.

Forum Administrator

More
09 Sep 2016 16:32 #3 by jedi98
Well I don't know the service but I do know that the WAN2 on a 2860 will normally auto negotiate 100Mbit Full Duplex correctly.
Factors to consider: -
  • Is the ethernet cable damaged in any way? Clean terminals?

• Is it clicking into the socket right (I have some with lazy latches on them)

• Have you had a look at the pins in the WAN2 socket? Could be jammed or something.

• Is the (airband) radio box near to the router enabling you to test other cables?

• When you use auto on WAN2 try seeing the port status with the telnet command: port status, as this may tell you something useful.

Code:
> port status % port 1 : link DOWN, speed= ---- Mbps, duplex= ----, FlowControl= -- % port 2 : link UP , speed= 100 Mbps, duplex= FULL, FlowControl= ON % port 3 : link DOWN, speed= ---- Mbps, duplex= ----, FlowControl= -- % port 4 : link UP , speed= 100 Mbps, duplex= FULL, FlowControl= ON % port 5 : link UP , speed= 1000 Mbps, duplex= FULL, FlowControl= ON % port 6 : link UP , speed= 1000 Mbps, duplex= FULL, FlowControl= ON % WAN2 : link DOWN, speed= ---- Mbps, duplex= ----, FlowControl= --

If you set WAN2 to 100 and it does not work but you know that the other end can do 100 then it suggests that the other end is detecting 10Mb regardless. Not sure why that would happen, I can only guess that one of them is seeing a quality problem with the green & orange cable pairs (the only ones used for 10/100 connections).

Here's a crazy one: try temporarily moving the cable from WAN2 to a LAN socket. This WILL NOT WORK FOR INTERNET ROUTING but you will be able to see from the LEDs on the socket and from the "port status" command what physical speed it negotiated.

• laughingjon
  • Topic Author
More
09 Sep 2016 16:33 #4 by laughingjon
hi there

Thank you so much for your speedy responses. Admin3 i can confirm this has worked!

As suggested I added an old 100Mbps netgear switch between the router and the Ubiquiti unit and i am now getting the full 20Mpbs internet access from WAN2.

I will raise a support ticket as you suggested and give as much detail as i can.

For info this was using the latest firmware 3.8.2.3_STD

Thanks again
Jon

*edit - for info following on from Jedi - on the switch both are showing as 100Mbps connection neither are showing as 10

More
09 Sep 2016 18:15 #5 by jedi98
Totally agree - definitely needs raising - if a netgear switch can negotiate 100 then wan2 on 2860 should be able to as well.

More
10 Sep 2016 11:40 #6 by g6ifs
Have you actually replaced the cable? I once had a patch cable that tested fine but refused to go about 10 on an DrakTek 910c, as soon as I replaced the cable it switched to 1 GHz.
Never did discover why the cable was faulty as it worked in other places fine, just didn't like being between my switch and the DrayTek.