DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2832N- Internet forwards to Draytek web login page.

• rathenor
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Sep 2016 12:50 #1 by rathenor
Hi

Just bought a Draytek 2832N Sep 16th and I was about to post a support request but being at work, I could not check the serial number.
I am having a configuration issues that has a interesting effect.
I am also one of those customers using Virgin Media cable as my ISP

Some of this post may lack some details, that is due to the fact that I cannot access the settings but I will provide more details if required

- Set up WAN first on WAN2 because Virgin uses a cable modem that is set up a as modem only (Virgin router disabled)
- WAN2 set up as DHCP from Virgin
- Set up one single LAN using defauls 192.168.1.xx
- Wired internet connection appeared to work OK at first
- Set up Wireless successfully

Symptoms

When my ipad and other wireless devices connect to the WIFI, users gets re-directed to the Draytek router web page
Strangely, once I logged in as the Draytek user, internect connection succeeds ! (Maybe this behaves as if a guest internet access connection had been set up although this is clearly not applicable)
At first, I thought that this impacts only WIFI, but this started to happen on wired machines as well, but not as often,
Also, I had set up a port redirection for HTTP traffic from external WAN IP to internal hard coded Web server IP and when accessing my web server from outside, the same symptoms is shown, I get to see the Draytek Web login page instead of being re-directed to the correct server

What could be the possible reason ? This has only been up for a few hours, other posts I read on this forum point to a potential IP /subnet conflict but my Virgin router was set up as modem only which in principle means that all Virgin router functionality was disabled and should not interer with the Draytek routing.
Here is the other thread link below but the difference is that I am able to access the internet on a wired machine
http://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21087

Thanks for your assistance, I will provide more details as requested, I can also open a support ticket later on if necessary.

Regards
Rod

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2016 14:26 #2 by jedi98
What subnet is the LAN side of your virgin media box using? If it is 192.168.1.0/24, the same a LAN 1 on the draytek then you will likely run into trouble. They need to use separate subnets so if it's clashing try setting the draytek's LAN to 192.168.10.0/24 or something that you know does not clash with anything.

And then I re-read your post and it looks like you already thought of that! Still, worth a look, if you have DHCP between vigor and virgin router then you have an IP address range there. Have a look at Diagnostics / Routing Table and see if there's anything hinkey there.

Not got the LAN / Web portal enabled by mistake, I take it?

More
16 Sep 2016 15:17 #3 by jedi98
It sounds like, somehow, the web packets are going to the virgin media box the routing back to the draytek instead of forward to the net but I can't see how that would happen (accidentally) or how logging in would make it work.

Is RIP enabled? Turn it off, if it is, just in case its modifying the routing table.

• rathenor
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Sep 2016 16:45 #4 by rathenor
Thanks Jedi98 for your quick input into this. I will re-check tonight once I can check the router, by then the support lines will be closed which is why I really value your suggestions. I will check thie RIP settings you talked about.
I will get back to this thread and update you with the outcome, positive or negative, this is more than likely a configuration issue. I will then provide more details and I am sure that we can sort this out
Thanks and have a nice weekend

• rathenor
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Sep 2016 21:30 #5 by rathenor
Resolved

The root cause was the I had indirectly applied firewall settings with the following settings.

- User Management
General setup

I had selected 'user based' instead of the default 'Rule Based'

User Based strictly implements firewall filtering for a user, that is why logging in as admin unlocked the firewall and mysteriously allowed internet access.

Thanks
R

More
16 Sep 2016 22:19 #6 by jedi98
Ah well, learnt something new there. Never even looked at that feature. I shall make a mental note to NEVER turn that on!