• Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Sep 2016 23:04 #1 by fluxboxuk
Vigor 2830 and Microsoft DirectAccess was created by fluxboxuk
Hi All,

Right, quick background.

Im an IT engineer for a large UK based organisation, and have just completed setting up our new Remote Access mechanism 'DirectAccess' by Microsoft, everything is working well for all other users of the system, except me ! which is a little annoying, since im the one who set it all up.

I have a Vigor 2830 connected to a Virgin Media superhub (running in modem mode), and my work laptop connects successfully to the DirectAccess service, but im getting aweful speeds, in the region of 400Kbps and pings up in the 600ms range. Oddly im getting a pretty consistent 2.76Mbps upload speed, cant explain that one.

The technology behind DA likes IPv6, but the way we have configured things uses IPHTTPS tunnel as a transition technology, then forms IPSec tunnels within that one. So when my laptop connects to my home network, its getting a standard IPv4 address from the router, which it then uses to connect to DA an get an IPv6 address for its virtual iphttps Adapter.

Iv disconnected the Router from the system and plumbed the work laptop streight onto the Virgin modem and the speed shot straight up, proving the problem lyes somewhere in the router.

Im gonna admit, iv got a lot of random config on the router, port forwarding, NAT, QoS, custom firewall rules etc, so to rule that stuff out, i took a copy of the router config and reset the box back to factory defaults. The 400Kbps remained the same.

Iv drilled through every menu on the router, and sat staring at the syslog utility for a few hours, but im at a loss, anyone ever had much experience with anything like this before ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fluxboxuk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Sep 2016 01:02 #2 by fluxboxuk
Replied by fluxboxuk on topic Re: Vigor 2830 and Microsoft DirectAccess
Gonna guess nobody has any ideas on this one then... iv worked around the problem for now by re-enabling the router function on the superhub, and setting up a separate wifi SSID from the Virgin device, connecting the work laptop to that SSID bypasses the draytek and gives me a decent speed again. But would still love to understand why the 2830 is getting in the way of what should just be plain https traffic in its eyes !

More
26 Sep 2016 15:25 #3 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Vigor 2830 and Microsoft DirectAccess
Is it an MTU issue maybe? Is it just that service that's slow?

Forum Administrator

• fluxboxuk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Sep 2016 07:36 #4 by fluxboxuk
Replied by fluxboxuk on topic Re: Vigor 2830 and Microsoft DirectAccess
Just the DA connection, everything else i can see seems to be running at line speed.