Same LAN subnet split to use 2 WANS

• jay08
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Sep 2016 12:45 #1 by jay08
Hi all wondering if anyone can help?

We have an SDSL connection currently serving our Servers which is using WAN 2 of our 3900 and also used for remote access and VPNs from our remote offices
We are almost due to get a Fibre connection which I want to add on WAN 3 so the Desktop clients to use this for internet.

All Clients and servers are on the same class 3 subnet and I want the servers using WAN 2 and Desktop Clients using WAN 3 for their connection, Ive never done this before but can I presume this is done by creating an IP Object first with and IP range and configuring a Policy Route and using that IP Object as the source for the rule?

Say IP object named Clients with a of range 192.168.17.12 - 192.168.17.100

Then create a Policy Route with the Source ...

Object > IP Object > "Clients"

Destination Type "ANY"

Outgoing Rule "User-Defined"

Outgoing Interface "WAN 3"

Then the same for the Servers IP Range pointing to WAN 2?

Thanks in Advance

James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sjltech.uk
  • User
  • User
More
30 Sep 2016 21:20 #2 by sjltech.uk
Replied by sjltech.uk on topic Re: Same LAN subnet split to use 2 WANS
Hi James,
I have a dual WAN 2925 setup with BT & VIrgin and accomplish a similar thing (if I understand correctly) by just using load balancing.
Although I actually use IP bindings, basically as all my desktops/laptops are in a set IP range (eg. 101-150) and all my servers are static (eg. 201-250), I just have 2 rules set-up so anything/any port from source in range 1 uses WAN1 (with WAN2 as failover) and range 2 uses WAN2 (with WAN1 as failover)
Probably not that elegant, but it works well.
Cheers
Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.