DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860 and 130 with dual ADSL lines - VERY SLOW

• sam@tfsmiths.com
  • Topic Author
More
26 Sep 2016 11:17 #1 by sam@tfsmiths.com
2860 and 130 with dual ADSL lines - VERY SLOW was created by sam@tfsmiths.com
I have just purchased a Vigor 2860 and a Vigor 130 with the idea of using them together to provide some extra bandwidth. I realise this won't make things faster as such but when lots of users are on line it should stop the speed from dropping.

I have set up both modems together. The 2860 works perfectly but the problem comes when I add the 130. As soon as I enable the 130 the internet speeds drops noticeably. The 130 connects okay and appears to be working but clearly I am doing something wrong because the speed drops to a crawl.

They are both using separate broadband lines but at the same speed. So there is nothing silly like the 130 line running at a lower speed or anything like that. I have even tested it when there are only a couple of users in and if I switch on the 130 the internet still works - but slows to a crawl. Very strange. Is there anything obvious you think I should check? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2016 12:02 #2 by admin3
What are the two ISPs? Check whether the DNS servers set on the PCs are with ISP1 or generic such as google DNS.

The reason could be that ISP1's DNS servers would not allow DNS lookups from ISP2, perhaps causing a delay in failing over to the secondary DNS server.

Another thing you could do is try enabling "session based load balancing" instead of IP-based under WAN > General Setup

Forum Administrator

• sam@tfsmiths.com
  • Topic Author
More
26 Sep 2016 12:32 #3 by sam@tfsmiths.com
Replied by sam@tfsmiths.com on topic Re: 2860 and 130 with dual ADSL lines - VERY SLOW
They are both ZEN. I have the DNS set in the 2860 so should be the same for the whole network. I am using openDNS. But - you may have a point here. When using OpenDNS you have to authorise your local IP. I haven't done that for the second IP so that could be it.

Great idea - will check out and let you know. Will try the session based switch if this doesn't help.

Thanks!

---
Sam

Moderators: Sami