DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Which router for Fibre Broadband (Gigabit)

• towernet
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Sep 2016 10:03 #1 by towernet
I am a long time fan and user of Draytek Vigor routers. Currently using 2860's VDSL lines with multiple public IP's set using WAN IP Alias.

This router has been perfect for my needs to date.

I am now going to be migrating to a Fibre service which is 1gb down 100mb up. The supplied router is very homey and no support for multiple IP's.

My question is, which Vigor (if any) would be a suitable replacement? I'm guessing I could just use the WAN2 port on a 2860 but just wondering whether these would cope with the potential throughput of a 1gb service?

Perhaps one of the non VDSL/ADSL models would be more appropriate?

Any useful advice gratefully received :)

Jason.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2016 10:54 #2 by aweaton
If you look at the product comparison sheet you'll see only the 3900 Firewall is rated at 1Gbs throughput. As you can see the 2860 is rated for 300Mbs.
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/5

You might be better off building your own Linux based router if you're brave enough.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/the-ars-guide-to-building-a-linux-router-from-scratch/

• towernet
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Oct 2016 10:57 #3 by towernet
Replied by towernet on topic Re: Which router for Fibre Broadband (Gigabit)
Thanks for this, I'd recently looked at the Vigor 2952 which might be a good option, particularly as it uses the 2860 style O/S which I'm already comfortable with...

What do you think?

• towernet
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Oct 2016 11:04 #4 by towernet
Replied by towernet on topic Re: Which router for Fibre Broadband (Gigabit)
I presume you're referring to the Firewall throughput? That doesn't appear to be on the spec for the 3900, unless I'm missing it somewhere....

More
06 Oct 2016 15:22 #5 by jedi98

towernet wrote: I presume you're referring to the Firewall throughput? That doesn't appear to be on the spec for the 3900, unless I'm missing it somewhere....

It is shown in the product comparison, if nowhere else.