Multi-NAT router set-up

• countryman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Oct 2016 12:39 #1 by countryman
Multi-NAT router set-up was created by countryman
For a long time, like display screens in car dashboards, I have felt that the Internet of Things (IoT) was a disaster waiting to happen and given the recent news about the massive DDoS attack using a botnet of IoT devices it looks as if my concerns were well-founded.

So, just on the offchance that some bright spark manages to hack anything IoT that I might get (albeit unlikely) and through that hack find a way to compromise our main computers I've set up a multi-NAT setup.

A Netgear D6000 router fronts onto the ADSL line. Back of that router will go any IoT devices. This is my semi-secure network. From one of the other Ethernet ports on this router, I take a cable and plug that into WAN2 on my Draytek 2820n router. At the back of this second router is my secure network into which my computers etc are plugged.

Works a treat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jpirie
  • User
  • User
More
29 Aug 2017 19:45 #2 by jpirie
Replied by jpirie on topic Re: Multi-NAT router set-up
Hi there,
Just a couple of, probably silly, questions.

Who is playing DHCP host and how does that affect connections on the one who isn't being DHCP server :)

I recently tried to set up a separate old router as Modem only (A Netgear DG834G) which worked well, modem synced up with the DSL signal and I connected one of the Ethernat ports to the WAN port of my Billion router which had the ISP logon details set up on the WAN rather than the DSL port. Bingo..commected and all worked well. ONly problem was, I could not access the GUI of the Netgear "Modem" to see my line stats and SNR etc which, when things go wrong, is very useful info. As a result I had to dismantle all my good work and go back to a single machine.
If you can see where I went wrong advice would be welcomed :)

regards,

James

• countryman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Aug 2017 21:53 #3 by countryman
Replied by countryman on topic Re: Multi-NAT router set-up
Sorry but I can't help you with this one.

More
31 Aug 2017 10:28 #4 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Multi-NAT router set-up
You can just do it with one router and VLANs (V2820 is old..maybe does have VLANs). You may also want an additional VLAN for guests so that visitors can't access your devices.

Forum Administrator