Draytek router performance on iffy lines

• countryman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Oct 2016 12:47 #1 by countryman
Draytek router performance on iffy lines was created by countryman
Having ongoing problems with our ADSL line. It's fine for days on end and then suddenly decides to go AWOL. Looking at the stats, the number of CRC errors increases by several hundred in the time it takes me to retype adsl status. It finally gets to the point where the modem gives up and drops the line and we start all over again.

Substituting my 2832n for a Netgear D6000, I get a sense that the latter is more resilient to these line problems and that the MTBF of the connection is much better than the Draytek. But it is only an impression and I could be way off the mark here.

Just wondered what others thought about the resilience of Draytek routers (specifically the 2832n) in the press of line issues ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2016 12:47 #2 by ollietait
Replied by ollietait on topic Re: Draytek router performance on iffy lines
Hi CountryMan -- usually draytek release multiple FW versions with different modem codes to support various line types and conditions on ftp.draytek.com (see ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2830n-v2/Firmware/v3.7.8.1/ for example) and you pick which ever one works best. However, for the 2832 it looks like there is only one FW release. are you running that latest release?

• countryman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Oct 2016 13:48 #3 by countryman
Replied by countryman on topic Re: Draytek router performance on iffy lines
Yes...that's the only firmware release available.

More
07 Oct 2016 15:33 #4 by admin3
What are the stats for the line when it's connected to either device?
If you're seeing lower than expected performance, I recommend contacting support about it, low sync / instability can usually be worked on with new modem codes.
I appreciate that there aren't alternative modem codes for the Vigor 2832 but those could be added to help with line issues like yours.

I personally haven't seen line issues with the Vigor 2832 but when I've tested, that has been 1-2km from the exchange.

Forum Administrator

• countryman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Oct 2016 15:43 #5 by countryman
Replied by countryman on topic Re: Draytek router performance on iffy lines
I can only see stats for the Draytek. None available from the Netgear.

The line was going up and down about every other minute. Then it had a spell of stability and then starts up all over again.

My ISP have altered the SNR to 9dB...they told me it was -ve....no idea how/why. I could see 3dB in the 2832 stats but never anything lower. Having made that change the line seems to be more stable albeit a bit slower. Certainly the CRC and ES aren't steadily increasing in their 100's every 10 seconds or so.