DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Alternatives to BT Broadband - A&A, Zen, Sky

• aweaton
  • Topic Author
More
12 Oct 2016 12:43 #1 by aweaton
I am currently with BT Broadband (55Mb VDSL2) and I'm nearing the end of my 12 month contract and discount. I am a residential user with unlimited downloads. Virgin Media is not an option where I live.
I have been looking around the market at alternative providers including Zen, Andrews & Arnold and Sky. Does anyone have any experience of Zen and Andrews & Arnold in particular?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
12 Oct 2016 14:18 #2 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Alternatives to BT Broadband - A&A, Zen, Sky
Avoid Zen like the plague. Their decent support staff left and went to TalkTalk , they now have script readers that basically can't read. I couldn't get away from them fast enough.

I was told there is no such thing as DNS .... my line which was so bad it was unusable was apparently " perfect" . Another user whose 80/20 line was down to 20/8 and continually dropped connection was told there was no problem, when he complained about the lack of throughput he was asked why he wanted all that bandwidth anyway .......... Read the Thinkbroadband forum to see the complaints.

Uno Broadband and Pulse8 are good, A+A always have a great reputation but cost a lot more than most.

More
12 Oct 2016 15:17 #3 by jedi98
Well I'm with plus.net, and have been for years. Yes they are owned by BT but they don't operate on the same principals or with the same staff. You won't get IPv6 native (yet) but the price is fair and the features suit me. You can have a static address if you want it and the support has been good, for me at least. I'm sure there are other opinions. Unlike BT, the members portal is NOT fragmented to heck nor is it so confused that you cant even find how to turn on/off features on your phone line.

Oh, and you get referral discounts. Anyone wants to join and put me down as referrer, username is jedi98 :)

Yes, A&A have a good rep but they are not cheap.
Sky, well they seem to want to do things oddly, non standard, and that sort of thing gets in the way for me.

More
12 Oct 2016 17:22 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Alternatives to BT Broadband - A&A, Zen, Sky
I've been with Zen for 8 years, and have not suffered any problems such as those described by Adrian. On the few occasions that I've had to contact support my queries have been resolved quickly and effectively. They have also been very supportive of nearby friends who migrated from TalkTalk about 18 months ago.