DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2860Ln - 3G/4G & Port Forwarding.

• sheltons
  • Topic Author
More
14 Oct 2016 11:18 #1 by sheltons
Vigor 2860Ln - 3G/4G & Port Forwarding. was created by sheltons
This may seem a silly question but has anyone who currnetly owns a Vigor 2860Ln been able to Open Ports/ Port Redirect from the 3G/4G? I am interested in hearing from realworld usage.

What I am looking to do is have a secondary MX record on our hosting that points to the 3G/4G and have that directed to our internal Exchange server so that email still flow in if the router has failed over to the 3G/4G Sim within the router.

I know somepeople will think the first issue would be that the 3G/4G uses a dynamic IP but with the DynamicDNS feature on the router this is not a problem.

If someone has actually done this or similar with this router then I will upgrade my 2860 to the Ln version, but if there is an issue with Router or the 3G providers preventing at least Port 25 being port forwarded then there is no point in replacing our 2860n with the 2860Ln.

Thanks in advance.

John.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2016 12:49 #2 by jedi98
Replied by jedi98 on topic Re: Vigor 2860Ln - 3G/4G & Port Forwarding.
Well on my mobile network, the 3G/4G data connects with a 10.x.x.x private address. Which means they must be using another NAT layer out to a a public IP address so I doubt whether port forwarding would work in that case since I would have to be able to set the forwarding on the outer router as well.

I think that this scheme is fairly common.

More
15 Oct 2016 09:28 #3 by admin
I haven't tried it specifically but I'd expect it to work as long as you have a genuine publically routable IP address (not a private NATted one like 10.0.0.1 as the other poster suggested) but even if it LOOKS public, it's possible that the ISP is applying carrier grade NAT :-( See if you can ping the router firstly (check that allow ping from internet is enabled).

Forum Administrator

• sheltons
  • Topic Author
More
17 Oct 2016 07:43 #4 by sheltons
Replied by sheltons on topic Re: Vigor 2860Ln - 3G/4G & Port Forwarding.

admin wrote: I haven't tried it specifically but I'd expect it to work as long as you have a genuine publically routable IP address (not a private NATted one like 10.0.0.1 as the other poster suggested) but even if it LOOKS public, it's possible that the ISP is applying carrier grade NAT :-( See if you can ping the router firstly (check that allow ping from internet is enabled).

Thanks for the info, the last part I can't do since I don't actually have a 2860Ln

If someone has actually done this or similar with this router then I will upgrade my 2860 to the Ln version, but if there is an issue with Router or the 3G providers preventing at least Port 25 being port forwarded then there is no point in replacing our 2860n with the 2860Ln.

Which is why I am trying to find out if anyone who owns one has been able to do what I want before I commit to having one and then finding out that it is no more effective than the 2860n with a Mifi on Wan2 over Wifi - which works well for Internet access but not for incoming email over smtp into the Exchange.

John.

More
17 Oct 2016 08:44 #5 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 2860Ln - 3G/4G & Port Forwarding.
A quick check on my iPhone (on Three 4G) shows that it's IP is 10.x.x.x so I'm suspecting the same as jedi98.

More
17 Oct 2016 12:00 #6 by aweaton
Replied by aweaton on topic Re: Vigor 2860Ln - 3G/4G & Port Forwarding.
My o2 3G/4G dongle connection has a 10.x.x.x IP address too. No good for accepting inbound connection even with dynamic DNS.
However, I notice Andrews & Arnold provide data only SIMs with real world IPv4 addresses http://aa.net.uk/telecoms-mobile-data.html Not cheap at 2p/MB + VAT though.