Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Route Policy to LAN1 gateway not working anymore

• rpdmallett
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Nov 2016 22:10 #1 by rpdmallett
Having upgrade from 3.7.8.3 to 3.8.2.3 I've found that a Route Policy that used to work no longer does.

Basically, my 2860 device has an ADSL link (192.168.0.1), but I also have another 4G Huawei gateway (192.168.0.9) on same subnet with a much faster link - but obviously a low data allowance. Therefore some devices that need the faster access use the .9 gateway (on LAN1) instead of the ADSL link on WAN1.

So my Route Policy basically had the Interface as LAN1 and a Specific Gateway of .9 for any device that needed this. In 3.7.8.3 everything worked well.

In 3.8.2.3 I get the error:
The packet was dropped because the send-to interface of the matched policy was inactive.

The interface is LAN1, which is basically the network connection for my house's network (i.e. linked to a big switch and all the PCs, etc.). It certainly IS active, but I guess the Route Policy is looking for a different network subnet on there, rather than the same subnet just with a different gateway?

Am I going to have to wire-up another cable to, say, LAN2, on a different subnet? Or use a VLAN?

Something obviously changed in the firmware and I'd rather not have to lay another cable...

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2016 08:52 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Route Policy to LAN1 gateway not working anymore
Just curious as to why you don't use the 4G device on WAN2 ?

• rpdmallett
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Nov 2016 20:36 #3 by rpdmallett
Actually, WAN2 already has a BT modem/router attached to it for load-balancing. I left out that detail to keep the description simpler.

The Draytek & BT units are right next to the 2 incoming lines. We live 'in the sticks' so adding a 2nd ADSL line was an easy way to boost our internet, when fibre isn't yet available to us.

The 4G unit is a Huawei B593s-22, with an EE SIM in it. I would highly recommend this device to anyone - I easily get 60Mbits/s download speeds from it, ~3 miles from the nearest tower. But the 25GB cap per month has to be used wisely!

Hopefully someone can point me towards the Route Policy change that has occurred, and how to regain the functionality lost in the firmware upgrade? I don't really want to downgrade...

Thanks,
Richard

• rpdmallett
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jan 2017 22:27 #4 by rpdmallett
Just updated to 3.8.4.2 (BT) and this now works again :-)

I.e. a PC on LAN1 [192.168.0.12] can be redirected (using a Route Policy) by the 2860 [192.168.0.1] to a different gateway [192.168.0.9] that is also on LAN1.

3.7.8.3 = worked
3.8.2.3 = didn't work "The packet was dropped because the send-to interface of the matched policy was inactive."
3.8.4.2 = works

Hope this helps someone else.

• rpdmallett
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Jan 2017 20:15 #5 by rpdmallett
Correction to the above: I think possibly all the above versions work the same way. The key thing appears to be re-booting the router after trying to apply this Route Policy. Without that, the packets are dropped even with 3.8.4.2.

I still get the same "The packet was dropped because the send-to interface of the matched policy "policy 1" was inactive and there was no failover setting" if I do a 'Diagnose', but the packets DO get through after that reboot.

Seems like a bug to me... any comments?