Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Multiple Statics + 2860

• juleswilko
  • Topic Author
More
22 Nov 2016 15:06 #1 by juleswilko
Multiple Statics + 2860 was created by juleswilko
Heya there folks,

Looking for some assistance as to how to set this up as just having my brain mushed, and for some reason the forum won't let you search for "Multiple static"(s) on the search...
Suffering from "new baby arrival brain".

So - I have got an FTTC connection with 8 statics assigned, I've got a DrayTek 2860 at the front doing the connection, and then 2925's etc "behind" to serve different networks.

All the FAQ's that I've searched are related to old GUI's and pretty much useless.

But I've got a range from the ISP of
CIDR x.x.232.184/29
Useable IP Address x.x.232.187
Broadcast Address x.x.232.191
Network Address x.x.232.184
Useable IP Address x.x.232.188
Useable IP Address x.x.232.185
Useable IP Address x.x.232.189
Useable IP Address x.x.232.186
Useable IP Address x.x.232.190

I'm trying to figure out the IP assigned for the 2860 that's doing the dialling, and then how do I plug in and assign four following 2925s to feed four sub networks.

It doesn't help I am not entirely convinced the IP addresses are correct as I am getting a ping response from some of the IPs that have given me, and how can this be correct if I haven't got anything plugged in.

Cheers for the help in advance before I go even more doo-lally in my sleep deprived state !

(And I've done connections with multiple statics plugged in to leased line routers before... And that's just worked... but this is the first time with an FTTC and multiple statics...)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dchester
  • User
  • User
More
23 Nov 2016 15:25 #2 by dchester
Replied by dchester on topic Re: Multiple Statics + 2860
You need to set up the routed static IP subnet in the LAN setup. ie make it routed, not NATed.
If I remember correctly I also had to set up a LAN2 and tell it that it was part of LAN1 and I think that was in the VLAN section where you tick the boxes.
I think that was the only tricky bit. Like you I had done this before with older routers (2930) and it "just worked" but the 2860 is a more complex beast.

Then each of your 2925 routers need to be given one of your static addresses but they are set up for NAT rather than routing with the gateway being the IP address you allocated to the 2860 (x.x.x.184?)

I've just run into a different problem with mine after adding a leased line on WAN2 alongside my FTTC on WAN1. So I have re-thought the whole thing and bought a 2960 router to do the two real static subnets and the 2860 will be what does all of my NAT. Trouble isI can't get the thing to use both WANs at the same time! If I bring WAN2 up, WAN1 stops working. Pain!

If you check your settings against what I did above and it still doesn't play, pop an email to Draytek UK support. They got back to me PDQ today with some suggestions for me to check.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.