• daedalus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Nov 2016 22:57 #1 by daedalus
2960 with Virgin Superhub was created by daedalus
Help,

I have had my 2960 working fine with my Virgin Superhub 2 for some time but recently decided to do a full upgrade of the network and moved all of the kit to a new position. At the same time I upgraded the firmware on the 2960 and my AP900 plus some other sundry items. I can no longer get my 2960 to talk to my Superhub. Does anyone know what I settings I should be using for the 2960 with regards to the Wan and a Superhub 2 in modem mode. The Superhub IP address when in modem mode changes to 192.168.100.1 At the moment I am trying to get one thing at a time working. There is normally a SamKnows unit between the Superhub and the 2960 and then there is a 24 port POE TPLink switch after the 2960 which feeds everthing else. At the moment I am just trying to get the 2960 to talk to the Superhub, the rest can go in after.

Thanks in advance.

Daedalus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2016 19:46 #2 by rbpalmer2401
Replied by rbpalmer2401 on topic Re: 2960 with Virgin Superhub
Note sure if this will fix your issue.

I have just replaced my exiting TP-Link router connected to the virgin superhub (in Modem mode) with a Draytek 2960 and was not getting an IP address from the supperhub, so no internet, Putting the TP-Link back and all worked. this showed me that the superhub must keep the MAC Address of the router.

Found that a reboot of the superhub cleared out the TP-Link MAC address and then issued IP address to the Draytek.

Rich

• sjltech.uk
  • User
  • User
More
28 Nov 2016 18:27 #3 by sjltech.uk
Replied by sjltech.uk on topic Re: 2960 with Virgin Superhub
Hi Daedalus,
You should check what IP address you can see on the 2960 WAN interface the SuperHub 2 is connected to.
I have had a series of problems with the SuperHub not picking up an IP address on the Virgin infrastructure, so it would show as 192.168.100.10 in my 2925.
This gave me some problems since the 2925 saw the interface as "UP" and wouldn't failover to the other WAN interface, if I unplugged the SuperHub, failover would work since the 2925 now saw the link as down.
As Rich has suggested, a power off/on reboot of the SuperHub 2 should fix the issue, just check what IP address you can see through the 2960 once it's connected.
There seems to be a problem with the way the SuperHub 2 tried to get a DHCP assigned (WAN) address, I can't recall which way 'round it is, but from memory it's either set to broadcast and should be unicast, or vice versa. Some higher end routers (but I assume NOT Drayteks) give an option to specify the flag.
My (possibly incorrect) assumption is that with the SuperHub in "Router" mode, it handles this they way Virgin expect it to be handled (note I am not saying right or wrong !) hence returning a SuperHub to "Router" mode resolves WAN connectivity issues.
I know this doesn't help, but thought I'd chuck in what I've found. (Oh, and it's the same issue with the new Virgin Hitron BTW :? )
Cheers
Simon

More
28 Nov 2016 21:00 #4 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: 2960 with Virgin Superhub
The last time I upgraded the firmware on my draytek I had to switch the virgin shrub back to router mode restart it set it back to modem mode reboot it and I then got an ip address. Just rebooting it left me in the same position no ip address. Plugging a laptop directly into the hub and everything worked back to into draytek no ip address which forced to the router modem mode trick.