• psykix
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Dec 2016 13:25 #1 by psykix
Web filter issue... was created by psykix
Sooo...

I had a trial of the webfilter and was quite impressed, so I bought a 1 year licence. I needed to wait until the trial finished to apply the licence, or it would have ended the trial.

However.. I totally forgot!

The kids ipads stopped accessing the internet, and that was what got me thinking (after visiting the Apple store with one of the ipads, doh!)

So, today I have applied the licence, and it's all activated, but the kids iPads still refuse to open webpages (even Google).

I haven't changed any of the filter rules or categories.

How do I troubleshoot this? Can't even find any webfilter logs anywhere..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• psykix
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Dec 2016 13:29 #2 by psykix
Replied by psykix on topic Re: Web filter issue...
Just to say, if I turn off the Kids Internet filter in firewall filters, then they work just fine.

• psykix
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Dec 2016 15:02 #3 by psykix
Replied by psykix on topic Re: Web filter issue...
Just in case anyone else hits this issue..

I figured out what the problem was.

I created objects based on MAC address for the kids iPads and then added them to a Kids iPads group.

However, when you create an object and select MAC address, and then use the select button to pick a device from the list of devices it also populates the IP address field with the current IP address. All works fine until the IP address changes it seems.

So.. I recreated the object and set the IP address to 0.0.0.0 and now it works fine. Seems a bit of a bug there, as if creating an object based on MAC address, why would you want the IP address field also populated?

Anyway, working now!

More
05 Dec 2016 15:07 #4 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Web filter issue...
Thank you for the update :) I think that what you've found there is an oversight in how the IP objects work potentially, when specifying by MAC address. It's probably worth reporting as an issue since it does make the MAC address object more confusing to use, though that could also be intentional if using Bind IP to MAC.

Your way of working around the problem is quite good though, I wasn't aware that that would work.

Forum Administrator