Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Dual WAN Internet / LAN issues 2860

• pannarrans
  • Topic Author
More
13 Dec 2016 19:36 #1 by pannarrans
Dual WAN Internet / LAN issues 2860 was created by pannarrans
Hi,
I have a 2860 Dual WAN ac router. WAN1 is connected to a VSDL line (single) and WAN2 is connected to a Virgin Media Hub.

An issue has just started whereby WAN2 drops and then shortly afterwards WAN1. My laptop is connected to the Wifi and as soon as WAN1 drops, I can no longer access any other internal network devices (NAS / Servers etc...). I can't ping anything except the router which I can access perfectly fine.

If I reboot the router, it immediately picks up the WAN2 (Virgin) IP and connects to the internet (my laptop also starts being able to connect to other devices on the same network). I know the Virgin is ok because looking at the Modem logs I see it's been connected for a number of days.

While I can accept that WAN1 might have a problem, WAN2 is fine. I can't see anything from the syslog's that immediately spring to mind, just magic number info:

2016-12-13 19:32:09 WAN1 PPPoE ==> Protocol:LCP(c021) EchoRep Identifier:0x36 Magic Number: 0x0 00 00 00 00 00 00 ##
2016-12-13 19:32:09 WAN1 PPPoE <== Protocol:LCP(c021) EchoReq Identifier:0x36 Magic Number: 0x6cf0 5f f9 00 00 00 00 ##

Any idea on where I can start looking? I've tried updating the firmware, but is still happening. At the moment every 6 hours or so.
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• footsore
  • User
  • User
More
14 Dec 2016 16:52 #2 by footsore
Replied by footsore on topic Re: Dual WAN Internet / LAN issues 2860
What else is on the network besides the laptop?

Sonos and a possible STP problem.

Every six hours is pretty good (for troubleshooting). Have you tried running with a single WAN to see if it still happens with one or the other running on its own?

Dave

• pannarrans
  • Topic Author
More
14 Dec 2016 21:28 #3 by pannarrans
Replied by pannarrans on topic Re: Dual WAN Internet / LAN issues 2860
Hi,
I do indeed have SONOS. But also a tonne of other stuff (Hive, Hue, Alarm, Synology NAS etc...)
I have had issues with SONOS before, but it's been stable for ages. Mind you I did recently update it.
it's been 12hours since the last issue. Tomorrow if it happens again, I'll try one WAN and disable Sonos.

Thanks.

• pannarrans
  • Topic Author
More
15 Dec 2016 17:05 #4 by pannarrans
Ok, further information. Disabled SONOS, no affect - lasted 22hrs until the same thing and then another 8hrs.
Internal LAN is affected to, completely locks me out of being able to ping anything. Starting to wonder if I've been hacked.
One thing is when I reboot the VDSL comes straight back up as soon as I've logged in.

Been digging through the syslogs and there's nothing (of interest) in them apart from WAN2 is down.

• pannarrans
  • Topic Author
More
21 Dec 2016 08:49 #5 by pannarrans
I disabled WAN2 and so far its been up for 93hours. I think I will have to factory reset the router in order to get this to work. The whole point of the router is if one WAN goes down, the other should take over, not go down and take the LAN with it.

More
21 Dec 2016 09:15 #6 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Dual WAN Internet / LAN issues 2860
Where are you setting the failover options? I set both WANs to be "always on" and use load balance/route policy for failover/failback and it works fine with vdsl on WAN1 and a Netgear Aircard on WAN2 connected via 5G (this now works with the 3.8.4.2 firmware btw).